TUM Science ManagerLevel 2
TUM is undergoing an important transformation process. The structural transformation to interdisciplinary schools and the digitalization of important core processes are particularly challenging for you as a science manager: You initiate, coordinate and manage change initiatives, implement the new university strategy in the faculties/schools and their chairs, in central institutions or in the administration, and for this you have to mediate between many stakeholders and overcome resistance. Our program TUM Science Manager Level 2 for experienced science managers provides you with targeted support in this process!
This program aims to further strengthen the skills of experienced science managers that are central to mastering the complex tasks of science management.
Any questions about our offers? We would be happy to advise you.
The program TUM Science Manager Level 2 is open to members of the academic mid-level staff (employed on a temporary/permanent basis in pay group E/A13 or higher) with at least three to five years of professional experience in science management and, generally, with a completed doctorate. The professional experience should have been completed after the doctorate and should include activities in science management or management tasks. If a significant amount of relevant experience has been gained during the doctorate, this can be taken into account.
The target audience is primarily persons in staff and interface functions, persons with design, control and management tasks in the faculties/schools and their chairs or in central (scientific) institutions as well as in academically shaped fields of activity in the administration, who regularly face changes and (want to) actively shape them. There is no age limit for application.
Structure and Content
The program TUM Science Manager Level 2 focuses primarily on management competencies that enable effective initiation, implementation and control of change processes, as well as competencies required for a responsible position in the management of academic institutions and units.
In order to provide participants with insights into the diverse areas of responsibility in science management and to promote mutual exchange across different organizational and structural contexts, the first half of the qualification program with a focus on change management will take place in cooperation with the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft.
With its topical focus on Change Management & Transformation, the program addresses the constantly changing world of science management. Whether due to far-reaching restructuring of entire organizations, digitization initiatives, or developments on a smaller scale, science managers are constantly confronted with changes and not only have to face new circumstances and tasks, but often also shape the change processes as such. The 5 modules in the topic area provide concrete methods and tools, but also current developments in the science system, so that you are optimally prepared to master current and future challenges.
The focus topic Management of Higher Education Institutions imparts the knowledge, methodological approaches and relevant regulatory frameworks to successfully initiate and implement projects and processes in a university like TUM and to be effective as a science manager. Strategic considerations, legal and financial aspects, but also the management of relationships are addressed in the program by experts and discussed with the participants. These factors are central to a sustainable science management.
The content of the modular course program includes:
- Research Policy & Current Trends
- Agile Project Management & Design Thinking
- Organizational Change
- Negotiation & Change Communication
- Teamwork & Diversity
- Strategy & Organization
- Legal Affairs & Finance
- Business Process Management
- Ethics & Conflict Management
Information on the other elements in the qualification program (self-study, career coaching, peer mentoring, transfer project and job shadowing) can be found here.
- Employment at TUM in pay grade E/A13 or higher for the standard duration of the qualification level, at least one additional year from entry into the program
- Diploma, Master's degree or comparable degree
- A completed doctorate degree is preferable (applicants without a doctorate should have more relevant professional experience)
- Qualified professional experience of three to five years in an academic environment
- Very good knowledge of German and English, as the program includes elements in both languages
- Prior knowledge and required skills:
- Knowledge of the science system and its stakeholders
- Legal basics of science management
- Basics of financial management
- Project management
- Communication and networking skills
- Fully completed online application form
- Certificates of all academic degrees
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form, summarizing your academic education and previous work experience
- Letter of motivation (maximum 2 A4 pages) in which you explain your motivation, interests and previous experience and convincingly elaborate why you have chosen to apply for the program TUM Science Manager Qualification Level 2
- Letter of recommendation from your direct supervisor & a letter of recommendation from another TUM supervisor; please have the supervisors sent these directly to careerdesign(at)lll.tum.de
- Evidence of the required competencies; in addition, a written description of a maximum of 1 DIN-A4 page can be enclosed, which demonstrates the acquisition of competencies through practical activity
- Evidence of previous qualification measures in the field of science management
Undertaking a self-assessment is a mandatory part of the application process. The self-assessment guide supports you in making a systematic assessment of your interests and skills in order to identify your talents and strengths as well as areas for development. At the same time, it helps you to reflect your motivation for your application. The contents of the self-assessment remain confidential, of course, and are only accessible to you.
Self-assessment form download