Collaborative Research Centers (SFB)

Here you will find an overview of all Collaborative Research Centers the Technical University of Munich is involved in.

What are Collaborative Research Centers?
  • Collaborative Research Centers (CRC; short SFB for german ‘Sonderforschungsbereich’) are university research projects which are funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), generally for a period of up to 12 years.
  • Transregional Collaborative Research Centers (referred to as TRR) are created when two or three universities apply for funding and jointly steer the research project.
  • Sub-projects of other universities or research institutes may be involved.
  • Collaborative Research Centers provide a platform for conducting complex, long-term research.
  • In particular, they support the professional development of young scientists, promoting cooperation across different disciplines, fields of specialization, institutes and faculties.
  • These collaborative alliances strengthen the academic relationships between universities and other research institutes.

For further information about Collaboration Research Centers, please consult the website of the DFG.

10 Collaborative Research Centers coordinated by TUM

Collaborative Research Centers with TUM participation

Technical University of Munich

Office for Research and Innovation (TUM ForTe)
Arcisstr. 21
80333 München
Tel: +49 89 289 25236


Are you planning to submit a proposal for a collaborative project?

The National Research Funding Support offers advice on applications for 

  • Collaborative Research Centers/Transregios, 
  • Research Training Groups, 
  • Priority Programs and
  • Research Units. 

TUM supports professors who are preparing proposals with TUM as the lead coordinator/spokesperso with the TUM Seed Fund.