While a university education offers many chances and opportunities, for students it is also a very demanding stage of life that often brings with it major changes and stress. Sometimes the situation can simply become overwhelming as problems grow and appear impossible to handle. Confidential discussions led by professional counselors can help open up new perspectives and develop productive approaches to personal challenges.
Several organizations in Munich offer students free and anonymous help:
Essentially any student can contact the Munich Student Union if they want to discuss their problems with experienced psychologists. The student union offers advice on a number of issues including:
- Problems with studying (decision making, exam anxiety, fear of authority)
- Relationship and partner conflicts, problems finding partners, coping with separations
- Isolation and contact problems (e.g. social phobias)
- Problems with leaving home (e.g. separation from parents, new orientation)
- Depression, anxiety, self-harming behavior, suicidal tendencies, psychosomatic ailments, eating disorders, compulsive disorders etc.
- Suffering caused by sexual abuse
- Addictions (e.g. drugs, gambling, computer or internet addictions)
- Integration problems experienced by international students