Applicants with an International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB)
If you apply with an International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB), there are a few things you need to know.
- Your schooling must comprise 12 consecutive school years.
- You have to fulfill the curricular requirements set out by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany (Kultusministerkonferenz). For more information, please consult our Info Sheet on the Curricular Requirements for Applications with IB (PDF, 86kb). The legally binding regulations can be found in the resolution of the Kultusministerkonferenz (German PDF, 156kb).
- Please note that only an IB with German A as Higher Level is recognized as proof of German language skills. Otherwise, you need so supply separate proof of sufficient German skills with your application at TUM.
Step 1: Have your IB Diploma checked
Applicants with an IB Diploma have to have their degree checked regarding their compliance with the standards set forth by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder (Kultusministerkonferenz).
Depending on whether you already have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition, there are two ways to do this:
- Option 1: You already have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition
If you already have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition (Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle) as well, you can directly proceed to step 2: Apply via TUMonline.
- Option 2: You do not have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition
If you do not have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition yet, you need to apply for a Preliminary Documentation (VPD) via uni-assist.
To learn more about applying via uni-assist, click here.
After applying for the VPD and completing the online application in TUMonline, you need to submit a certified copy of your Official Transcript of Grades and the other documents listed in your document checklist to TUM. This list is gernerated individually at the end of the online application via TUMonline. Please make sure that all documents arrive at TUM within the designated application periods.
It is essential that you apply for the VPD via uni-assist as soon as possible, in any case within the application period. Processing your documents may take several weeks. If you have applied for the VPD before the designated deadline, you can hand the VPD itself later. It is important to note, however, that we can not admit you to a degree program before we receive the VPD as well.
Step 2: Apply via TUMonline
When applying via TUMonline, please be sure to select the option for Foreign Higher Education Entrance Qualification.
At the end of the online application process, TUMonline will generate an individual list with the documents required for submission within the respective deadlines.
Step 3: Prepare and Submit your Documents
Be sure to submit all required documents as given in the TUMonline checklist in the correct form and in compliance with the submission deadlines.
If you have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition submit it together with a certified copy of your Official Transcript of Grades.
If you do not have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition, be sure to apply for the Preliminiary Documentation (VPD) within the designated application period. Submit the Preliminiary Documentation (VPD) itself as soon as you receive it.
You can only be admitted to a degree program when all documents are complete.
Please visit our pages to learn more about the rest of the application procedure.
Forms and Further Information
Advising and Information
You have questions about application, admission or administrative matters?
Please have your applicant or enrollment number ready.
Write us an email:
Give us a call:
+49 89 289 22245
Monday: 9 am - 12 pm and 1 pm - 4 pm
Tuesday to Friday: 9 am - 1 pm
Arcisstr. 21, Room 144
Monday - Thursday: 9 am - 12 pm and 1 pm - 4 pm
Friday: 9 am - 12 pm
Lecture Period, Lecture-Free Days/Holidays, Enrollment periods- overview on all dates and deadlines of each semester