How to apply for a Master's Degree Program
Step by Step
You would like to apply to a master’s degree program at the Technical University of Munich (TUM)? Here, you will find all the information you need.
1. Prepare your application
1.1 Note for international applicants
You are applying with a qualification for graduate studies acquired outside of the EU/EWR? Be sure to observe these additional steps before starting your online application:
- Check your qualification for graduate studies
- Provide proof of your language skills within the application period
- Apply for your preliminary documentation via uni-assist within the application period
- Learn about the specific requirements for applicants from certain countries
- Be aware of possible visa requirements
2. Apply via TUMonline
The first step is the application via our portal TUMonline. Our application wizard will guide you step by step through the online application procedure.
All data submitted electronically needs to be verified by paper-based documents. So at the end of the online application, you will receive an application for admission as well as a personalized list of required documents. Both the signed application for admission and the relevant documents need to arrive at TUM has hardcopies before the designated deadline.
3. Submit your Documents
The admission or enrollment application form will be automatically generated at the end of the online application process, as well as a list with all required documents.
Depending on the desired degree program, the required documents include:
- Bachelor’s certificate and bachelor’s diploma. If you don’t have the required documents at the time of application, please provide your Transcript instead.
- Student Health Insurance Certificate. A copy of your student health insurance certificate can be handed in up until the beginning of the degree program.
- your CV - please note that it has to be current and must not contain gaps. Feel free to use the template provided by the European Union.
- where necessary, verification of language skills in German or English
- where required, letter of motivation, essay, etc.
- where required, preliminary record examination (see Special Requirements for International Applicants)
Please send your signed admission or enrollment application form as well as all required documents to the address stated in the application. Your application documents need to arrive at TUM within the application period. We cannot accept submissions of the application form via fax, scan etc. When sending documents via post, always be aware of the mail delivery time. Particularly when sending documents from abroad, we recommend using a track & trace service.
You must submit a full set of application documents each time you apply, including notarized certificates. TUM does not assume any liability for unsolicited original certificates. Please note that all application materials are digitalized and destroyed after the end of the application period.
You wish to apply for a double degree? Please apply as described here. Make sure you include a note in your documents, stating that you are applying to a double degree program.
3.1 Note for international applicants
If you are applying with an international qualification for graduate studies:
4. We review your documents
Only when all required application documents have been filled out completely and received by the specified deadline, will they be processed by the Admissions and Enrollment Office. Due to the large number of applicants the process may take several weeks. Check the status of your application in your TUMonline Account.
Complete the Aptitude Assessment
Master degree programs are subject to aptitude assessment. As soon as all required documents have been submitted and processed, applicants will receive an email including an invitation and useful information about the aptitude assessment procedure.
Aptitude Assessment is a two-step procedure:
- In the initial stages, the grades you obtained during your bachelor's program, as well as your written documents, will be evaluated using a point system. Depending on the amount of points accumulated, applicants are either immediately admitted, rejected or invited to a 20 minute admissions interview conducted by the department. In some cases, telephone interviews are carried out for international students.
- The interview represents the second stage of the procedure and helps determine whether the applicant is capable of successfully completing the desired course of study. You will find more information in appendix 2 of the Academic and Examination Regulations of your desired degree program.
5.1 We notify you about your admission
You will be informed by e-mail if you have been accepted to TUM. The admission offer will also appear in your TUMonline Account.
5.2 Accept your spot
The admission procedure that follows your acceptance of admission will also take some time. Therefore, accept your admission offer as soon as possible! You can do this in your TUMonline Account. Upon accepting your admission offer, you have the option to download your admission notification in TUMonline.
If you have applied to more than one program and have not yet received an admissions offer for your preferred course of study, please wait to confirm your acceptance. It is possible to accept your offer of admission to a program up until 15 September for the winter semester and 15 March for the summer semester.
You have received an admission offer, but due to some reason have to postphone the start of your studies? Here you will find everything you need to know about reserving your spot.
6. Complete your Documents
7. Pay the semester fees
8. Be enrolled at TUM
As soon as
- all documents are registered and designated as correct in your TUMonline Account
- you accepted an offer of admission,
- and transfered your student union fees,
you will be enrolled at TUM and notified by email. Please remember to check your TUMonline Account regularly to keep up-to-date. For technical reasons it may take up to 24 hours until your status of enrollment is verified in your account.
After enrollment you can download your student documents in your TUMonline Account. These include
- proof of enrollment
- certificates for local public transportation,
- confirmation of payment of fees.
9. Pick up your Student Card
10. What's next?
Congratulations - your studies can now begin. Ahead of the first lecture there are still things to be taken care of: From registering at the university library to finding a place to live. Here you will find valuable tips and services to help you get started.
Advising and Information
You have questions about application, admission or administrative matters?
Please have your applicant or application number ready.
Write us an email:
Give us a call:
+49 89 289 22245
Monday to Thursday: 9 am - 1 pm
Arcisstr. 21, Room 144
Monday - Thursday: 9 am - 12 pm and 1 pm - 4 pm
Friday: 9 am - 12 pm