Applicants without a formal university qualification (Abitur) can gather information here on requirments for applying at the TUM. If you completed your vocational training outside of Germany, your application materials for TUM must include proof of recognition of your training in Germany. You can obtain this verification at the authorities responsible for your particular vocation in the Free State of Bavaria in accordance with §71 BBiG [Vocational Training Act].
In 2009, the Bavarian state government adopted amendments on university admission:
- The subject-specific university qualification for access to higher education is granted once the university has assessed the applicant’s eligibility, i.e. after successfully completing at least two years of vocational training and at least three years of subsequent full-time work experience (= professionally qualified) - each in a field related to the discipline of the desired course of study. Upon receipt of a federal upgrading scholarship, it is sufficient to show proof of two-year’s full-time work experience.
- Master craftspersons and their equivalent are granted general university admission.
Access to higher education
Here, you can find the statute governing university access to the TUM for qualified professionals and listing the required application forms. You must submit the following documents:
- Statement on entitlement to continue your studies (form here)
- Verification of English language competency; recognized language tests are listed below:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language | TOEFL: minimum of 500 points (paper-based) or 70 points (Internet-based)
- International English Language Testing System | IELTS: at least 5.0 points
- or an equivalent proof of language proficiency, see here
- Verification of mathematical competency
- The TUM Department of Mathematics will conduct the written test and evaluate it.
- In addition, a free preparatory-course is offered on a voluntary basis.
- Mandatory testing for all applicants
- Preparatory course takes place in August
- Registration and further information
- Mandatory academic counselling: To arrange a personal consultation, please contact student advising to receive a verification form and submit it with your application materials.
- You can apply from 15 May 2012 to 15 July on the TUMonline application portal.
- If you are submitting an online application, please go to "School type/Test type/Higher education entrance qualification" then to “Professionally Qualified” under Subject-related university entrance qualification.
- At the end of the online application, you will see a list of the documents you need to send to TUM.
- When applying for an unrestricted degree program, please submit proof of your vocational training as well as proof of your work experience to TUM until the end of the application period.
Preparatory Course for Technical Degrees
Amberg-Weiden University offers an extra-occupational preparatory course (BeVorStudium) specifically designed for qualified professionals who wish to apply for technical studies. More information