Development, Production and Management in Mechanical Engineering
Master of Science (M.Sc.)
For movers and shakers! You are fascinated by the whole product development process and you want to expand your method knowledge in management, take a leading position in a company or start your own business as an engineer? Then join our Master Degree Program!Department of Mechanical Engineering
Information on Degree Program
What does this program cover?
The aim of this Master Degree Program is the academic training of engineers to become experts of the manufacturing industry. Starting with the development up to the production and logistics you will learn everything about the whole product development process. Furthermore you acquire core competences in management.
For a comprehensive description of the program, please refer to the degree program documentation:
How is the program structured?
The Master Degree Course allows you to create your own individual study course plan. The Program is structured as follows:
- Master Modules, divided into main subject areas development and design, Production and logistics, management, industry-specific knowledge, complementary skills and engineering science flexibilization
- Practical courses
- Supplementary Subjects
- Research Internship (term project, team project, practical research course)
- Key Competences (language courses, soft skills workshops, …)
- Master’s Thesis
What is the language of instruction?
Required language skills for admission:
You need sufficient German language skills if you wish to apply for this program. Evidence of your language proficiency has to be submitted before the end of the application deadline. Learn more about recognized certificates and other ways to prove your German language skills.
This evidence of your language proficiency confirms that you comply with the minimum language requirements for admission to the program. Depending on the program and your individual background, it may be necessary for you to keep working on your language skills during your studies. Be sure to take a look at the services of our Language Center.
Language of instruction:
The language of instruction for this program is usually German. This means that most of the modules are offered in German. Some courses may, however, be taught in English. The language of instruction for each module is detailed in the module overview. // To learn more about the language of instruction for each module, contact the departmental student academic advisor of this program.
Which further expertise and skills will I acquire?
Graduates of this Master's program develop a qualification profile that is primarily characterized by the three core competencies Development, Industrial Engineering and Logistics plus skills in Management in Mechanical Engineering.
Development and Design:
- You will be able to systematically plan, organize, execute and evaluate complex development projects in interdisciplinary teams.
- You know how to develop manufacturing and assembly-oriented product designs, thus shortening the product creation process.
Production and Logistics:
- You are enabled to evaluate inhouse and extra-company logistics concepts and to develop solutions regarding both inhouse & extra-company supply chains.
- Apart from rating and dimensioning material flow systems, you will be capable of making calculations including throughput/flow rate computations and you will be familiar with designing materials handling equipment & systems and their characteristic components.
- You are equipped with the necessary skills to perform sophisticated functions at the interface between production & design on the one hand and business in terms of sales and marketing on the other.
- Based on a profound education in mechanical engineering, graduates are equipped with extensive methodological knowledge of controlling, marketing, quality management and human resources management.
Which professional opportunities can I take up with this qualification?
Upon completing the Master Degree Course in Development, Production and Management in Mechanical Engineering, opportunities arise in many and various areas. Starting with development and production up to distribution and management areas, you are especially capable to take a leading position in technical areas. Typically fields of activity are purchasing, distribution and production as well as project management, technology management and production management or controlling of technical aims.
Binding Regulations for Progression of Studies, Examinations and Application
Application and Admission
How do I apply?
Minimum requirements to apply for a Master's program at TUM are a recognized undergraduate degree (e.g. a bachelor’s) and the successful completion of the aptitude assessment procedure. Aptitude assessment allows the TUM school or department to which you are applying the opportunity to evaluate your individual talents and motivation for study.
During the application period, you must apply through the TUMonline application portal and upload your application documents.
If you receive an offer of admission, you will additionally have to submit individual documents as notarized hardcopies by post to be enrolled.
Generally, applicants with a qualification for postgraduate studies (e.g. a bachelor’s) obtained outside of the EU / EEA must have their documents reviewed in advance through uni-assist.
Which documents do I need to submit during the online application?
- Application for Admission (upload - signed)
- Transcript of Records
- Degree Certificate and Diploma or Subject and Grade Transcript of Studies to Date
- Proof of German Language Proficiency
- Curriculum (e.g. module description)
- Letter of Motivation
- Complete and Current Résumé
- Preliminary Documentation (VPD) if the qualification for graduate studies (e.g. a bachelor's) is obtained outside the EU/EEA
We may require additional documents depending on your educational background and your country of origin. Complete the online application to receive a comprehensive list of the required documents.
Which documents do I need to submit for enrollment?
- Application for Enrollment (signed)
- Degree Certificate and Diploma (certified copy)
- Transcript of Records (certified copy)
- Most Current Photo (as for ID)
- Student Health Insurance Certificate
We may require additional documents depending on the type of educational background you earned and your country of origin. After accepting an offer of admission in TUMonline, you will receive a list of documents you must submit to TUM in hardcopy for enrollment.
What application deadlines do I need to meet?
Application period for winter semester: 01.04. - 31.05.
Application period for summer semester: 01.11. - 31.12.
During the application period, you must apply through the TUMonline application portal and upload your application documents. Please be aware that we can only process your application if you upload all required documents within the application period.
We will review your application as soon as it is complete. Please check your TUMonline account regularly, to see if we have any queries to your documents or if you have to amend one or more documents.
After receiving admission, you will see in TUMonline which documents you have to submit for enrollment, and in which form. Please note that you always have to send the signed application for enrollment and all notarized hardcopies by post.
We recommend that you submit the documents for enrollment as soon as possible after receiving admission. If individual documents are not available by then, you can submit them up to 5 weeks after the start of the lecture period. You will, however, only be enrolled once we have received all documents. Proof of the completed bachelor's degree must be provided within one year of commencement of the master's program.
You can check the status of your application at any time in your TUMonline account.
On what basis does TUM select applicants for admission?
Selection takes place through an aptitude assessment procedure. Aptitude assessment is a two-part procedure after the submission of an official application to a program. In this procedure, the TUM school or department determines whether you meet the specific requirements for its master’s degree program.
In the initial stages, the grades you obtained during your bachelor's program, as well as your written documents, will be evaluated using a point system. Depending on the amount of points accumulated, applicants are either immediately admitted, rejected or invited to an admissions interview.
Where can I find the online application portal?
The online application process takes place through our application portal TUMonline.
Do I have to complete an internship?
If the applicant cannot prove at least 8 weeks of internship in industry taken in the first degree, 8 weeks of internship will be required at the latest at the end of the second semester.
You have earned your master’s degree and are ready to start your career? TUM Alumni & Career can assist you with questions regarding professional orientation, job search and job application.
If you are interested in continuing your studies, you will find information of doctoral studies at TUM, here.