Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)
The Bachelor's program Food Technology deals with the engineering, biological, technological and biochemical processes of the entire value chain in food production. In addition, economic aspects are covered.TUM School of Life Sciences
Information on Degree Program
The Bachelor's program Food Technology deals with all aspects of the industrial production of food. Engineering, biological, technological, biochemical and economic processes are considered. This course covers a wide range of food production requirements:
- Purchasing and assessment of raw materials
- Organization and optimization of various production steps
- Establishment of quality assurance systems in the manufacturing process
- Planning and reconstruction of production plants and supply facilities
- Control of analytical and sensory product properties
- Development of innovative and individual products, adapted to consumer behavior
For a comprehensive description of the program, please refer to the degree program documentation:
The program is designed as a full-time study program. The standard period of study is six semesters (180 credits). The majority of the module catalogue consists of compulsory modules (149 credits). The Bachelor's program is divided into the following sections:
Basic and orientation examination (1st -2nd semester): A sound scientific understanding is created in this training section. The basic subjects include biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics.
Bachelor's examination (3rd - 6th semester): In this part of the course, students specialize in engineering sciences and food technology. Important subjects in the Bachelor's examination are e.g. technical mechanics, apparatus construction, biochemistry, microbiology, food chemistry and food technology. Laboratory internships combine theory and practice.
Required language skills for admission:
You need sufficient German language skills if you wish to apply for this program. Evidence of your language proficiency has to be submitted before the end of the application deadline. Learn more about recognized certificates and other ways to prove your German language skills.
This evidence of your language proficiency confirms that you comply with the minimum language requirements for admission to the program. Depending on the program and your individual background, it may be necessary for you to keep working on your language skills during your studies. Be sure to take a look at the services of our Language Center.
Language of instruction:
The language of instruction for this program is German.
Graduates of the Bachelor's program Food Technology are able to …
- produce food in accordance with hygienic and legal requirements
- plan and realize production plants for food products
- understand and adapt process steps in food production
- plan and monitor industrial supply facilities and to use biotechnological methods for food production
- examine foodstuffs chemically, microbiologically, sensory and technically
- evaluate the economic efficiency of food production processes
Most students follow the consecutive Master's program Food Technology with the Bachelor's program. Graduates find jobs primarily in the food and beverage industry, as well as in related plant construction. The possible tasks in the later occupation could be:
- Organization, monitoring and optimization of production and manufacturing processes
- Quality assurance during routine production
- Organization of the associated operating technology
- Product development for new foods
- Planning and projecting of new production plants
- Purchasing and assessment of raw materials
Binding Regulations for Progression of Studies, Examinations and Application
Application and Admission
Admission requirements and the application procedure vary depending on the type of higher education entrance qualification you hold.
During the application period, you must apply through the TUMonline application portal and upload your application documents.
If you receive an offer of admission, you will additionally have to submit individual documents as notarized hardcopies by post to be enrolled.
Generally, applicants with an international higher education entrance qualification must have their documents reviewed in advance through uni-assist.
- Application for Admission (upload - signed)
- Higher Education Entrance Qualification
- Complete and Current Résumé
- if applicable: Proof of Internships or Professional Experience
- Proof of German Language Proficiency
- Preliminary Documentation (VPD) by uni-assist - for international applicants only
We may require additional documents depending on your educational background and your country of origin. Complete the online application to receive a comprehensive list of the required documents.
- Application for Enrollment (signed)
- Higher Education Entrance Qualification (certified copy)
- Most Current Photo (as for ID)
- Student Health Insurance Certificate
We may require additional documents depending on the type of educational background you earned and your country of origin. After accepting an offer of admission in TUMonline, you will receive a list of documents you must submit to TUM in hardcopy for enrollment.
Application period for the winter semester: 15.05. – 15.09.
An application for the summer semester is only possible for higher subject semesters. Application deadline: 15.01.
During the application period, you must apply through the TUMonline application portal and upload your application documents. Please be aware that we can only process your application if you upload all required documents within the application period.
We will review your application as soon as it is complete. Please check your TUMonline account regularly, to see if we have any queries to your documents or if you have to amend one or more documents.
After receiving admission, you will see in TUMonline which documents you have to submit for enrollment, and in which form. Please note that you always have to send the signed application for enrollment and all notarized hardcopies by post.
We recommend that you submit the documents for enrollment as soon as possible after receiving admission. If individual documents are not available by then, you can submit them up to 5 weeks after the start of the lecture period. You will, however, only be enrolled once we have received all documents.
You can check the status of your application at any time in your TUMonline account.
This is a program with unrestricted access. There is no selection procedure. You will receive confirmation of your application
- after submission of the online application and all documents in a formally correct manner by the deadline
- and after your documents have been reviewed.
Please note: This degree program requires that you have completed an internship before the start of the program. (More information is available under “Internship”).
The online application process takes place through our application portal TUMonline.
What are my options after earning this degree?
After successful completion of a bachelor’s degree program, you can either choose to apply for the consecutive master's degree program in Food Technology and Biotechnology or enter a profession. The team at Alumni & Career can assist you with questions regarding professional orientation, job search and job application.
After earning their bachelor’s degree, many students go on to pursue a master’s degree. These programs allow you to deepen your disciplinary knowledge or to expand it with a new field of study. The Student Academic Advising Office can assist you in selecting an appropriate master’s program.