- Application period: 26th May - 6th June 2017 (for scholarships starting in winter term 2017). Documents cannot be handed in after the deadline. So please make sure that you have everything ready by then.
- Scholarship period: 12 months
- Amount: 300 € per month
- Eligibility: Only degree seeking students can apply. You need to be enrolled at TUM for a full programme (Bachelor, Master, Staatsexamen, Diplom). We cannot fund PHD students.
- We seek to boost the number of female students at the TUM. Therefore we would particularly like to encourage women to apply for a scholarship from the National Scholarship Program Deutschlandstipendium.
- Furthermore, students from a non-academic family background and students with a migratory background are strongly encouraged to apply. This was also emphasized in a Bavarian Landtag resolution (PDF 143 KB/German only).
Evolution of provided Scholarships listed by department (PDF 63 KB/German only)
Please do not send us references from professors with your application. The committee will directly request the certificate from the professor should one be required at any point during the selection process. Please do not make information requests to the departments or to other service centers about the program. Questions regarding the National Scholarship Program Deutschlandstipendium should be addressed to us directly (see "contact" box).
Performance Records, Grade Point Average
Relevant for your application is your academic performance until your most recently completed semester - i.e. your grades at the end of the winter semester 2016/17. In accordance with the principle of equality, we cannot take into consideration courses you are doing in the ongoing semester.
Please list ALL graded courses that count for your final grade in the excel spreadsheet available for download below to find out your grade point average (GPA) at TUM.
TUM reserves the right to look up more recent grades on TUMonline should they be necessary to make a decision.
If you will start your first semester as a M.Sc. student, you do NOT need to fill in the excel sheet below. Instead, we will need your B.Sc. certificate and grade. In the application form, please copy your B.Sc. final grade in place of the TUM GPA (format: 1,234) and please upload your B.Sc. certificate as a PDF attachment.
Calculate your grade point average at the TUM (Grading sheets, only available in German):
- Grading Sheet_BSc.xls (39KB) (.ods (17KB))
If you have completed more courses than could be listed on the sheet provided, please use Grading_Sheet_BSc_long_version.xls (39KB).
- Grading_Sheet_MSc.xls (37KB) (.ods (25KB))
- Grading_Sheet_Diplom.xls (82KB) (.ods(19KB))
- Grading_Sheet_Staatsexamen.xls (49KB) (.ods (18))
- FAQ_Grading_Sheet_in_German.pdf (235KB).
How to apply
Deutschlandstipendium at TUM (English subtitles available)
- Application, Scholarship Period, Disqualifying Criteria
- How to convert non-German final grades into the TUM grading system
- Performance Records, TUM grade point average
- Selection Process
- Selection Criteria
- Can applicants for a place at TUM apply too?
- Application Form
Application, Scholarship Period, Disqualifying Criteria
- Scholarship period: 1 October, 2017 – 30 September, 2018
- Application period: 26th May - 6th June 2017
- Disqualifying criteria:
you are NOT eligible for the National Scholarship Program Deutschlandstipendium if you
- receive any other performance-oriented scholarship/funding that exceeds 30 Euros per month,
- exceed the regular period of your studies at the beginning of the 2017/18 winter term (e.g. BSc.: 6 terms),
- are not enrolled in a full programme at TUM (Bachelor, Master, Staatsexamen, Diplom),
- are a Doctoral candidate.
The selection process is as follows:
- Verification of the data provided and automated ranking (departments and GPA).
- Evaluation of "other" criteria (in accordance with § 3 StipG, e.g. voluntary social commitment, readiness to take on responsibility, special family circumstances, etc.) by an independent Diversity Committee.
- The applications are forwarded to and evaluated in the respective departments.
- The applications are presented to the selection committee that will then determine a proposal list. The final decision will be made by the Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gerhard Müller. AFTER the scholarship students have been selected, some of the sponsors will be granted advisors' rights (§ 2 StipG), but only concerning the matching of students and sponsors. For data privacy reasons, TUM will not send student applications to third parties. Selected student motivation letters and CVs can only be accessed at the TUM and subsequent to having signed a non-disclosure agreement. Information on psychological and physical limitations will NOT be made accessible to any third party.
According to the German Scholarship Law (StipG - German only), private sponsors may appropriate two-thirds of their scholarships to a particular field or course of studies.
Non-appropriated scholarships will be distributed proportionally among ALL departments.
How to convert (non-German) FINAL grades into the TUM grading system:
Please use the following equation if you have a foreign BSc. high score:
GR_TUM = 3 * [(GRmax - GRd) / (GRmax - GRmin)] + 1
GR_TUM = the GPA you're looking for, converted GPA (German/TUM system)
GRmax = highest possible grade in the non-German grading system, expressed in numbers
GRd = grade earned in the non-German grading system.
GRmin = lowest possible passing grade in the non-German grading system (i.e. the lowest possible grade that would still allow you to pass the course)
For the result in the application form, please just use one digit after the comma.
- If the system works with percentage, please just use the number without the % sign in the equation.
- If the system works with letters, please just convert the letters into numbers.
A = 5
B = 4
C = 3
D = 2
E = 1
F = 0 (fail)
GRmax = 5
GRmin = last grade to pass = 1
GRd = your grade point avarage, e.g.
A+A+B+C = 5+5+4+3 = 17
GRd = 17:4 = 4,25
The resulting equation would be:
GR_TUM = 3 * [(5 - 4,25) / (5 - 1)] + 1 = 3 * 0,75/4 + 1 = 0,562 + 1 = 1,562
--> one digit after the comma --> your "new" GPA (to use in the application form) would be 1,5
Please keep in mind: The German system recognizes grades from 1,0 (best)
to 4,0 (lowest possible passing grade) - so the result should be within this range.
- We do NOT accept paper documents. Please make sure to upload any relevant proof as PDF documents in the upload-section within the online application form. Other file formats than PDF might run the risc of not being compatible with the application process and these files will not be taken into consideration.
- We can only process applications that are submitted within the application period.
- Please avoid umlauts in the document titles
- You can only upload ONE attachment per box in the upload section. If you want to send us extra documents/certificates, please make sure to merge them into one PDF first.
- You may not add anything to your application once it is sent! So please make sure you have all required documents ready BEFORE you start filling in the application. It does not matter on what day you send in your application as long as you send it within the application period and meet the deadline.
Please organize your 4 or 5 PDF attachments as follows:
PDF 1: Motivation Letter (mandatory)
- 1 page max.
- Please do not forget to give give us more information on what you listed in the Yes/No section in the online application form!
PDF 2:Curriculum Vitae (mandatory)
PDF 3: Signed Data Privacy Statement (mandatory) and Grading sheet
- German language Data Privacy Statement (PDF 33KB): Please download, sign and upload as a PDF attachment (mandatory)!
- Grading sheet (see download section and explanation above, only applicable to those who are currently NOT in their first semester at the TUM) - That means: If you are just applying for your Master or in your 1st Master semester then you DO NOT NEED to attach a grading sheet. It is just a help to calculate your current GPA! In that case you only need to provide your final degree of your Bachelor. You also do not need it, if you are a TUM student (2nd semester and above) and you can see your current GPA in TUMonline. In that case just copy your current GPA shown in TUMonline. In short that means that most likely you do not need to attach a grading sheet.
PDF 4: Relevant Academic Certificates (mandatory)
- high school diploma
- if applicable: B.Sc. certificate
PDF 5: Further Certificates (optional)
e.g.: If you listed anything in in the Yes/No section of the online application, please upload the relevant proof/certificates. How to describe and prove your statements
How can I merge PDF documents?
Please search for "merge PDF freeware" and you will find programs available for free.
Can applicants for a place at TUM apply, too?
Yes. Instead of your GPA at TUM we will need your B.Sc. certificate and final grade or high school diploma and final grade, etc. Everybody who intends to enroll at TUM for a full program the upcoming winter term can apply.
Applications are only available online.
The online application form will be available below during the next application period. In the meantime, you can have a look at an example:
Application - example (PDF 144KB)
In accordance with the Scholarship Law, the selection committee at TUM takes personal circumstances of applicants into consideration. Therefore, we will ask you to fill in a few yes/no fields in the application form. Since these are not always self-explanatory, please make sure to read the following explanations before filling in your application:
Yes/No questions - help and examples (34 KB)
Please read the application guidelines carefully before filling in the application form.
The application deadline for scholarships starting in the winter term 201 has passed. Missing documents cannot be handed in anymore!
The application for the winter term 2018 (funding starting 01.10.2018) will probably be in May 2018. Documents cannot be handed in after the deadline. So please make sure that you have everything ready by then.