TUM – TUM – Menu

Our entrepreneurial pioneers

Carl Linde

Portrait of Carl Linde
Portrait of Carl LindeImage: TUM Archiv

Carl Linde was a young professor of mechanical engineering at what was then the Polytechnic School of Munich, where he discovered the principle of artificial refrigeration (in collaboration with brewery magnate Gabriel von Sedlmayr). On June 21, 1879, together with a financier in Wiesbaden, he founded his company, “Gesellschaft für Lindes Eismaschinen AG”, and left the university. He returned ten years later, soon back at work on the discovery of the liquefaction of air. Today Linde AG employs more than 60,000 people.

Claude Dornier

Portrait of Claude Dornier
Portrait of Claude DornierImage: TUM Archiv

World-renowned airplane builder Claude Dornier studied mechanical engineering at Technical University of Munich between 1903 and 1907. He rapidly earned his degree and worked for machine construction, bridge building and steel construction companies. In 1910 Claude Dornier took up a position at Luftschiffbau Zeppelin in Friedrichshafen. While his initial focus was airships, he later turned his focus toward airplanes. Technical University of Munich made him an Honorary Senator of the University in 1931.

Portrait of Wilhelm Messerschmitt
Portrait of Wilhelm MesserschmittImage: TUM Archiv

Wilhelm Messerschmitt

Wilhelm Messerschmitt was born in Frankfurt am Main on June 26, 1898. He completed his degree in mechanical engineering at Technical University of Munich (then THM) in 1923 with a thesis project on the S14 glider. That same year he founded “Flugzeugbau-Messerschmitt GmbH” in Bamberg, which was incorporated into Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG (BFW) in 1933 and renamed Messerschmitt AG in 1938.

A full professorship for aviation was established at THM in 1929, but the university was unable to fill the position for budgetary reasons. Instead, W. Messerschmitt accepted a lectureship in 1930 and was named an honorary professor in 1937. He was granted an honorary doctorate by THM in 1938.
He returned to building airplanes under licensed production for the German Luftwaffe and NATO after the Second World War (from 1955 onwards). Messerschmitt AG merged with the Bölkow Group in 1968, then the Aviation Division of Blohm, a Hamburg-based company, to become the Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm-Gruppe (MBB) with Prof. Messerschmitt serving as a joint partner and honorary advisory board chair into old age.

Contact

You have further questions?

Sabrina Schulze
Technische Universität München
Arcisstr. 21
Tel.: +49 89 289 22636

Mail

Contact

You have further questions?

Sabrina Schulze
Technische Universität München
Arcisstr. 21
Tel.: +49 89 289 22636

Mail