Hotels, Youth hostels and more:
Short term accommodation
If you’re only staying for a short time – attending a conference, or while looking for longer-term accommodation – there are plenty of hotels and youth hostels available.
Info session: Finding Accommodation
Useful tips – like how to apply for an advertised apartment, how to contact the property owner/manager, how to master German bureaucracy (registry Residence Registration Office) and how to extend a visa, permit of stay, etc. Please register because places are limited.
Staying in a hostel of the German Youth Hostel Association (DJH) does usually not come expensive. You will, however, need to be a member of the DJH or a youth hostel association from abroad.
Munich-City Youth Hostel (DJH)
Tel +49 89 2024449-0
Munich-Park Youth Hostel (DJH)
Tel +49 89 78576770
Fax +49 89 785767766
Burg Schwaneck Youth Hostel (DJH)
82049 Pullach (ca. 30 min to the city center on the S 7 train line)
Tel +49 89 74486670
Fax +49 89 74486680
CVJM Jugendgästehaus (YMCA)
Comparable to DJH youth hostels but it's not necessary to be a member of the DJH.
Tel +49 89 552141-0
Fax +49 89 550428-2
Hotels and B&Bs
Hotels, Bed and Breakfasts and other private accommodation can be found via
- muenchen.de: Offical City of Munich website
- Munich Tourism service: Hotel room reservation & Accommodation Directory
- Garching.de: Accommodations (in German)
- Freising.de: Accommodations (in German with link to English document)
Tipp: Stay in halls of residence during the vacations
Holiday rentals: In some halls of residence, students sub-let their rooms during the lecture-free period. Contacts via the Munich Student Union
Tip: Make an early reservation
During the Oktoberfest (Mid-September to the beginning of October) in particular it is extremely difficult to find any accommodation in and around Munich as all hostels and hotels tend to be fully booked. Prices can also be considerably higher in this period.
More info for finding a place
- www.muenchen.de: Living The official online portal of the City of Munich provides important information on living in the city.
- garching.de: Bauen und Wohnen (only available in German) This page from the City of Garching provides information and links on building and living in the city including information specifically aimed at students.