TUM Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is TUM's central supervisory body. It has 20 voting members made up of ten external members, who are are prominent leaders in the fields of science, culture, business and politics, and the ten elected members of the TUM Senate. This board is responsible for decisions regarding passes the TUM charter and the university's development plan, as well as changes among in the degree programs. It also elects the TUM President and the Senior Vice Presidents.
The role of the TUM Board of Trustees
The TUM Board of Trustees makes decisions on
- the basic structure of the university (TUM charter)
- proposals concerning the appointment of the senior executive vice president – human resources, administration and finance
- the university's development program
- proposals concerning the division of the university into departments and schools
- the establishment / modification / cancellation of degree programs
- the president
- on the recommendation of the president, the senior vice presidents (with the exception of the senior executive vice president ) and also decides when these people should be voted out of office
- the establishment / modification / cancellation of scientific and artistic organizations and institutes and other operating units
- the Bavarian State budget proposals / the draft of the strategic economic plan
Composition of the TUM Board of Trustees
The TUM Board of Trustees has 20 voting members made up of 10 external members and the 10 elected members of the Senate. The chair of the Board of Trustees is held by one of the external members. The deputy chair is the chair of the TUM Senate. The TUM Board of Management, the university's gender equality officer and the representative of the assembly of doctoral candidates attend the meetings in an advisory capacity.
The TUM Board of Trustees has existed in its present form since 1 October 1999. Introduced and successfully tested by TUM, this setup was the first of its kind at a German university.
The 10 internal members are the elected members of the TUM Senate.
The 10 external members of the Board of Trustees are prominent leaders in the fields of science, culture, business and politics. These appointments are made by the TUM Board of Management and the Bavarian State Minister of Sciences drawing up a shortlist which is then passed on to the Senate for its approval. The external members are then officially appointed by the Minister of Sciences.
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Otmar Wiestler
President of the Helmholtz Association
Further external Members
Prof. Dr. Dr. Andreas Barner
Member of the Shareholders' Committee
C.H. Boehringer Sohn AG & Co. KG, Ingelheim
Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft e.V.
Dr. Wolfgang Büchele
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
M+W Group GmbH
President and CEO
Dr. Nicola Leibinger-Kammüller
President and Chair of the Management Board
Trumpf GmbH + Co. KG
Dipl.-Ing. Harald Krüger
President of the Bavarian State Parliament
Prof. Dr. Martin Stratmann
President of the Max Planck Society
General Director of Bavarian Broadcasting
Dr. Reinhard Ploss
CEO, Infineon Technologies AG