Research Opportunities Week
Once a year the Technical University of Munich (TUM) selects 50 young scientists from all over the world and invites them to the Research Opportunities Week (ROW) in Munich. During this week, the participants have the opportunity to visit different research facilities at TUM, to meet Professors of their disciplines, to inform themselves about possible postdoc funding opportunities in Germany and to create a scientific network.
The Postdoc Mobility Travel Grant covers accommodation and travel expenses and thus funds the stay in full. After the ROW, the participants get the exclusive chance to apply for the attractive TUM University Foundation Fellowship (TUFF) and to spend one year as a postdoc at TUM.
11th Research Opportunities Week: April 20-24, 2020
Researchers can submit their application for the 11th Research Opportunities Week until October 31, 2019 (16.59 pm CET) via our application portal: Link to the Application Portal.
You may apply for the Research Opportunities Week if you
1. are currently not living in Germany. Applicants of German nationality or persons who have previously lived in Germany are welcome to apply if they are applying from abroad and are not currently residing in Germany.
2. have completed a PhD within the last 3 years at an institution other than TUM. The period is calculated from the month of the Research Opportunities Week, so if you completed your PhD after April 2017, you are eligible. If you did your PhD at TUM, you are not eligible to apply.
or have recently submitted your PhD thesis at an institution other than TUM.
or are going to submit your PhD thesis within the next 12 months.
3. If you have completed a PhD in one of the research fields listed on TUM Departments, TUM Integrative Research Centers, or TUM International School of Science and Engineering.
- Please hand in all documents in English as not all reviewers speak German -
- Letter of Motivation (approx. 1 page)
Please describe your motivation to attend the ROW. Please keep in mind that your letter of motivation is essential for the evaluation of your application. You are therefore asked to describe your professional goals as precisely as possible and to elaborate on your motivation to conduct a postdoc at TUM. Furthermore, make sure you explain in a sufficient manner how the TUM professor(s) you are interested to work with match your research interests and scope.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Track Record
Provide a list of publications or papers in progress. Please highlight the most important three papers with an asterisk. You may add awards, conference contributions (presentations, speeches, courses, poster sessions, workshops), patents, etc. to your track record.
- Copy of your best paper
Provide a copy of your best article, conference paper, or something similar in full length.
Please note: You are requested to upload the complete text. It is not sufficient to only provide an abstract or a link from where the paper can be downloaded. Please make sure to provide only one paper and to list the others in your track record.
- PhD Certificate
Please provide a PhD certificate, a conformation of your PhD submission or a statement from your supervisor that you have completed your PhD or that you will complete your PhD within the next 12 months.
- Reference/Letter of Support
Please provide a letter of reference from your current supervisor or a former supervisor. We only accept letters of support written on official letter paper which include date and signature. A digital copy of this official letter is sufficient and needs to be uploaded in the portal.
- Contact details of TUM professor(s) you would like to meet during the ROW
You need to provide the name and email address of at least one TUM professor whom you would like to meet during the ROW to discuss a potential project. Only applications that include the name of at least one professor are taken into consideration. You can use the following websites to help you find professors who fit your research profile: TUM Faculties, TUM Cluster of Excellence, TUM Integrative Research Centers, TUM International School of Science and Engineering, or TUM Professors.
Please note that:
- Only TUM Professors or TUM Head of Institutes/Chairs can be named as hosts (not Research Group leaders).
- You do not need to inform the professor(s) that you are listing them in your application.
- Letter of support from a TUM professor (optional)
If you have already been in contact with a TUM professor who would be interested in hosting you, you can add a letter of support from him/her (which also needs to be written on official letter paper with date and signature).
The letter is intended to demonstrate a previously established relationship and should be from someone who has a well-grounded insight into your research experience. If you have not been in touch with a TUM professor you want to meet, please refrain from approaching them on your own.
Review and Selection Process
All applications are reviewed by an independent scientific board which consists of experts from the all respective fields of research. All applications will be evaluated with regard to the following criteria:
- scientific excellence, qualification and career perspectives of the applicant
- quality of the motivation letter and the letter of support
- synergy with TUM hosts and departments
- prospects to obtain the TUFF Fellowship and further third party funding.
The TUM University Foundation Fellowship (TUFF)
The Research Opportunities Week is the first part of a two-step-program, which promotes international young academics at TUM. The ROW is organized and carried out by TUM ForTe. The opportunity to apply for the one year TUM University Foundation Fellowship is exclusively offered to the ROW-participants. Mandatory requirement for the application is to find a host professor at TUM. Successful TUFF-applicants receive a one-year funding by TUM and are integrated into a TUM institution of their research field. As a result, the TUM gives the TUFF-fellows the freedom to work on their research profiles and to create a nucleus for new and interdisciplinary research projects in collaboration with TUM professors.