TUM – Technical University of Munich Menu

Language Certificates

In order to succeed in your studies, you need to have a good grasp on the language. On this page you'll find everything you need to know when it comes to proving your language skills. 

For more info on prerequisite language skills and the corresponding certificates concerning a specific degree program, please consult the Academic and Examination Regulations.

The options listed here are sufficient to comply with the minimum language requirements needed for admission. Depending on the program and your individual background it may, however, be necessary for you to keep working on your language skills during your studies. Be sure to check out the services of our Language Center.

Due to the restrictions imposed by the corona situation, the online version of certain english language tests will also be accepted as proof of english language ability when applying for the winter semester 2020/21. For further information, please see Recognized English Language Certificates.

Language Skill Navigator

Not sure what to use as proof of your language skills when applying?
Our Language Skill Navigator can help you narrow down your options. 

German Language Skills

Good command of German is an important prerequisite to successfully complete your studies at TUM. Proof of sufficient German language skills must be submitted before the end of the application period for all degree programs whose language of instruction is German. 

Applicants holding a German university entrance qualification do not require verification of their German language skills. German citizens with an international higher education entrance qualification who have spent at least two school years at a German-speaking school may submit their school certificate as proof of their German language proficiency.

Please also note the information on the requirements of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education in Germany (KMK) regarding proof of German language proficiency. A list of certificates recognized as proof of German language proficiency may be foundin the resolution of the KMK (PDF, German, 80kb)

More information for exchange students is available at TUM Global & Alumni Office.

Recognized German Language Certificates

When applying for degree programs requiring proof of sufficient German skills for admission, you may submit the following certificates:


Certificate of the German Language Test for the Admission of Foreign Student Applicants (DSH-2 oder 3).


The German language diploma of the Permanent Conference of the Ministers for Education and Cultural Affairs – Second Level -(= DSD II): It is sufficient to have reached Level B 2 in all four sections.

telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule

Passed the telc C1 Hochschule.


Test of German as a foreign language for foreign students (TestDaF) with a result that demonstrates having reached level 4 in all sections.


Passed a Goethe Certificate B2.

Please note that the certificates mentioned here only meet the formal minimum requirements. To study successfully, we strongly recommend that you expand and deepen your language skills during your studies.

Alternative Proof of German Language Proficiency

In some cases, an alternative form of proof of language proficiency may be submitted in place of a language certificate. Please refer to the Academic and Examination Regulations of your degree program (FPSO) for specific details.


Certificate of an aptitude test that proves the ability of foreign applicants to take up higher education studies in Germany (qualification assessment examination).


  • A "German A (Higher Level)" within the International Baccalaureate
  • Either Biology, History or German as Higher Level in the "Gemischtsprachiges International Baccalaureate mit Schwerpunkt Deutsch"


A diploma from a German educational institution in Germany or abroad.

Please note: If you wish to submit a diploma/degree certificate of an academic degree (e.g. a bachelor's with German as language of instruction) as proof of your language skills, you need to submit this document to the online application form. So please be sure the documents will be issued in time, i.e. before the application deadline.

Preliminary certificates, transcripts etc. are not sufficient. If the final graduation documents are not available in time, you need to submit a different proof of language proficiency.

English Language Skills

Proof of sufficient English language skills must be submitted before the end of the application period for all degree programs whose language of instruction is English. 

Please upload valid proof of your english language skills to the online application form. The document has to contain all information required for validation

Recognized English Language Certificates


Minimum Requirements:

  • Internet based Test (iBT): 88. Only the Test Date Score is valid, MyBest Score will not be accepted.
  • For winter semester 2020/21: iBT Special Home Edition: 88. Only the Test Date Score is valid, MyBest Score will not be accepted.

Please upload a screenshot of your Test Taker Score Report to the online application form. TOEFL ITP is not accepted.


  • IELTS Academic with a minimum overall band score of 6.5.
  • For winter semester 2020/21: IELTS indicator with a minimum overall band score of 6.5.

Please upload your Test Report Form to the online application form.

Please note: In case you are not able to receive your Test Report Form (TRF), please upload a PDF document with your TRF Number on it instead. Every passed IELTS test has a TRF Number (Test Report Form Number). We will then try to verify your IELTS results onlilne.


CAE (Cambridge Advanced English), Grades A,B,C – for winter semester 2020/21, the computer-based test is accepted. 

CPE (Cambridge Proficiency English), Grades A,B,C

Please upload your CAE or CPE certificate to the online application form.

Alternative Proof of English Language Proficiency

In some cases, an alternative form of proof of language proficiency may be submitted in place of a language certificate. Please refer to the Academic and Examination Regulations of your degree program (FPSO) for specific details. Please also be aware of the Collective Amendment concerning the proof of English language proficiency (PDF, 143kb)

English language proficiency may no longer be proven by school grades (e.g. in the Abitur).

A GMAT with a score higher than 600 is accepted as proof of english skills for some master's programs offered by the TUM School of Management. For more information, please refer to the FPSO.

LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION (e.g. in a Bachelor's)

You can prove your English language proficiency via the language of instruction in an academic program (e.g. in a bachelor's) by submitting your transcript of records or your degree certificate as evidence. The language of instruction needs to have been English in more than 50% of the program.

If the language of instruction is not stated in these documents, you can submit a confirmation issued by your prior university.

For some master's degree programs, a sufficient amount of credits acquired in English modules during your undergraduate studies is accepted as proof of your English language proficiency as well. The information whether this option is valid for a certain degree program and, if so, how many credits you need to have completed in English modules, can be found in the Academic and Examination Regulations of a degree program.

If this option is given for a certain degree program, you need to submit your transcript of records or your degree certificate as evidence, as well as the form for proof of English proficiency via credits in a prior degree program (PDF, 20kb).

Semesters spent in an exchange program or internship are not sufficient.

Multi-language programs

In some degree programs, you can choose between english or german courses - and in other cases, you need to complete german as well as english courses to complete your studies.

If this is the case, you need to provide proof of the respective language skills when applying. 

You can find more information about the language of instruction and the required language proficiency in our course list or in the respective Academic and Examination Regulations.