Rail, Transport and Logistics
Master of Science (M.Sc.)
Awarded by TUM, the program is conducted in Singapore and aims to equip graduates with integrated knowledge in the fields of Railway Subsystems (infrastructure, vehicles, traffic control), Transportation and Logistics.TUM Asia
Infos zum Studium
The Master of Science Program in Rail, Transport and Logistics (RTL) conferred by Technische Universität München (Technical University of Munich, TUM) will provide graduates with the necessary knowledge and skills to successfully master the challenges faced in the areas of transportation, logistics and/or railway engineering.
The student will learn how to analyse and assess the various traffic scenarios of the different transport modes and how to find appropriate solutions. Students will learn how to design and operate modern transport systems including integrated inter-modal management systems. Students are able to choose from 3 different specialisations: Railway, Transport and Logistics in this Masters programme.
The 2-year full-time program aims to develop students into professionals in the dynamically growing market of railway, transport and logistics. Upon the successful completion of the programme, the student will be awarded a Masters degree from TUM.
Required language skills for admission:
An adequate knowledge of the English language; students whose native language or language of instruction is not English must demonstrate proficiency through an acknowledged language test such as “Test of English as a Foreign Language“ (TOEFL) (minimum 88 points), “International English Language Testing System” (IELTS) (minimum 6.5 points), or “Cambridge Main Suite of English Examinations”.
Language of instruction:
The language of instruction for this program is English.
As a graduate of the Master’s program in Rail, Transport and Logistics, you have a profound knowledge of the interdependencies and intricacies of transport systems, transportation economy and city development. You can apply the most appropriate solutions to cities of different scales in terms of population, space, income, and terrain. Regardless of your chosen specialisation you are able to assess the methods most suitable to guarantee an affordable and sustainable transport network for freight and passengers by using the available resources as efficient as possible. To achieve this, you possess a profound knowledge in the field of planning, designing, and operating a transport system for both persons and goods.
You have the skills to use an integrated transport system approach, ranging from demand management, transport planning and infrastructure design to transport management and transport services. You are capable of applying the most common methods in statistics to analyse data transportation, logistics and railway engineering processes. Furthermore, your knowledge of traffic flows allows you to evaluate transport and logistics systems. During your work you are constantly aware of the relationship between transport, urban planning and city development.
Depending on the specialization students take either in Transportation, in Logistics or in Railway Engineering, they are equipped with a set of additional, specialised skills upon graduation.
As a graduate you are qualified for leadership roles in international transport and logistics operators. You can also start a career in public transport agencies in charge of the operation of urban MRT, LRT, regional and long distance rail transport systems. Moreover, students from this Master program are qualified to pursue a PhD upon graduation.
Verbindliche Regelungen zu Studienablauf, Prüfungen und Bewerbung
Bewerbung und Zulassung
- Applicants meeting the admission requirement submit their Online Application via www.tum-asia.edu.sg and then send TUM Asia their hardcopy documents, together with the application fee. TUM Asia will release the result via email to the student.
DEGREE/FH DIPLOMA* REQUIREMENTS
- In order to be eligible for the program, you must have at least a Bachelor Degree** (completed in at least three years, depending on factors such as the rest of your education background) in any of the following fields: Civil Engineering, Transport Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Communications Engineering, Mathematics, Physical Science, Architecture, and Environmental Engineering (list is not exhaustive) with remarkable results.
- **Academic requirements may differ for different countries of study. Please write to us at admission(at)tum-asia.edu.sg to verify your requirements.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE SKILLS
- As the Master of Science program’s instruction medium is English, the applicant must be able to demonstrate a satisfactory level of proficiency in the English language.
- Applicant whose native tongue or medium of instruction from previous studies (Bachelor / FH Diploma) is not English must submit at least one of the following:
- TOEFL (www.toefl.org): Recent score with a Minimum 88* for the Internet-Based Test (TOEFL code: 7368)
- IELTS (www.ielts.org): With academic IELTS result of at least 6.5
SPECIAL CRITERIA (China, Vietnam & Mongolia)
- Additionally, an Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) certificate is required for applicants with education qualifications from China, Vietnam or Mongolia. The APS certificate is compulsory if your Bachelor studies was completed in a Chinese, Vietnamese or Mongolian university, regardless of nationality.
- For example, a Singapore citizen who completed his entire undergraduate studies in a Chinese university, and holds a Chinese degree, must sit for the APS test and pass it in order to qualify for admissions to a German university.
- If you are making any application to a German university (including the TUM degrees at TUM Asia), the APS certificate is required for all education qualifications from China, Vietnam or Mongolia. If you need more information, please contact our team.
For more information, please click here.
For more information on the application procedure and required documents, please visit TUM Asia.
Applications open 1 October every year
Aptitude assessment (EV):
This is a two-stage process in which the faculty checks after an official application whether you meet the specific requirements for the master's program.
In the first stage, the final Bachelor grade and the submitted documents are evaluated using a points system. Depending on the number of points achieved, applicants are either admitted immediately, rejected or invited to an interview.
The online application takes place through the TUM Asia online application portal.
The 3-month internship and 6-month Master Thesis may be undertaken in Singapore or anywhere in the world with a company, university or research institute.
Wie kann es nach dem Studiengang weitergehen?
You have earned your master’s degree and are ready to start your career? TUM Alumni & Career can assist you with questions regarding professional orientation, job search and job application.
If you are interested in continuing your studies, you will find information of doctoral studies at TUM, here.
TUM Asia offers a variety of scholarships and grants for both undergraduate and graduate students. For more information, please visit our website.