Olympic-class sporting program
Munich and its environs is a dream-come-true for sports enthusiasts. If the natural beauty of the Alps and the Bavarian lakes wasn’t enough, there’s also the Olympic Park built for the 1972 Games and now home to the University Sports Center. Athletes who trained here have celebrated victories the world over.
From yoga through climbing to beach volleyball – ZHS has something for everyone. ZHS sporting facilities are open to students at all Munich universities – TUM included.
- 90 sports and fitness activities: From aerobics to yoga, ZHS has it all. Keep fit classes, climbing and beach volleyball are especially popular. With 15,000 members, ZHS is the largest university sports community in Germany – bringing together students from every university in Munich.
- Every level of fitness: ZHS has an activity to suit all levels of fitness – from the occasional gym-goer to the endurance athlete. Munich teams often win intervarsity competitions around the world.
- Olympic facilities: ZHS is based at the TUM campus in Munich’s Olympic Park in the north of the city, which was built for the 1972 Games. Explore the facilities with our interactive map.
- The Alps and Lake Starnberg: ZHS makes excellent use of Munich’s surrounding countryside. Windsurfers and sailors enjoy the windy conditions on Lake Starnberg. Plus of course the Bavarian Alps, within easy distance for climbers, hikers, skiers and snowboarders.
- The great outdoors: Joggers convene in the English Gardens every morning. The Bavarian lakes are a paradise for watersport enthusiasts. And to the south lie the Alps: the best possible venue for skiing in winter and for hiking, climbing and mountain biking in the summer.
- Open-air swimming and yoga: The Schyrenbad open-air pool by the Isar is a popular spot in the evenings. Or if outdoor gymnastics is your thing, head to the Westpark. Munich’s municipal authorities organize a huge “sports for all” program throughout the city.
- Clubs: Around 340 sports clubs with 600,000 or so members make Munich a true sporting highlight. The football club Bayern Munich is known the world over. Handball, chess and gymnastics are just some of the popular pastimes with dedicated clubs.
- Surfing on the Eisbach: River surfers come to Munich from every corner of the globe to ride the man-made Eisbach wave in the English Gardens.
University Sports Center (ZHS)
Zentraler Hochschulsport (ZHS)
Technische Universität München
TUM Campus im Olympiapark