For questions concerning your IB Diploma or IB examinations in light of the current corona situation, please contact the IBO or your school directly. Current information is also available on the website of the IBO.
- Your schooling must comprise 12 consecutive school years.
- You have to fulfill the curricular requirements set out by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany (Kultusministerkonferenz). For more information, please consult the legally binding regulations can be found in the resolution of the Kultusministerkonferenz (German PDF, 156kb).
- Please note that only an IB with German A as Higher Level is recognized as proof of German language skills. Otherwise, you need so supply separate proof of sufficient German skills with your application at TUM.
Applicants with an IB Diploma have to have their degree checked regarding their compliance with the standards set forth by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder (Kultusministerkonferenz). To do this, please apply to uni-assist for a Preliminary Documentation (VPD) so that your IB grades can be converted and your course composition can be checked.
It is essential that you apply for the VPD via uni-assist as soon as possible, in any case within the designated deadlines. The processing of your documents by uni-assist may take several weeks. If you have applied for the VPD before the designated deadline, you can hand in the VPD itself later. It is important to note, however, that we can not admit you to a degree program before we receive the VPD as well.
IB graduates can have their transcript sent directly from their school or International Baccalaureate Organization to uni-assist.
Applicants who have already received a final and complete notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition regarding their Official Transcript of Grades can proceed directly to step 2 and apply online. They upload the notification in TUMonline instead of the VPD.
During the online application via TUMonline, you need to upload your Official Transcript of Grades. If you do not have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition, you also need to confirm the timely completion of your application for a VPD via uni-assist by uploading the confirmation form.
You need to submit an online application via TUMonline. In the online application, please be sure to select the option for Foreign Higher Education Entrance Qualification.
When applying with an IB Diploma, either a Preliminary Documentation (VPD) or a valid notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition (ZAST) is required.
- If you have applied for a preliminary documentation by uni-assist, upload your Official Transcript of Grades and the preliminary documentation. If your preliminary documentation is not yet available to you, you can upload the Confirmation that the application for a preliminary review documentation by uni-assist has been submitted in due form and time instead.
- Applicants with IB may have to submit additional documents for the application for a VPD. Please refer to the corresponding instructions on the uni-assist website.
- If you already have the ZAST notification of recognition, please upload the following two documents (in one PDF file) in TUMonline instead of the VPD: 1. ZAST notification, 2. IB Diploma or IB Transcript or screenshot of IB results / grades from IBO portal. If you do not have an IB Diploma or IB Transcript yet, a (complete and legible) screenshot of the grades from the IBO portal is sufficient. The notification of recognition must be submitted together with the IB grades as an upload, as these are not transmitted via the VPD/uni-assist. Having the grades sent directly from the IBO is not sufficient, the TUM statutes make an upload mandatory in the application process.
Your application will only be considered if you upload all required documents and submit the online application within the designated application period.
For enrollment, please send the notarized copy of your graduation certificate together with your application for enrollment and any other missing documents by mail to the address:
Technical University of Munich
TUM Center for Study and Teaching
Application and Enrollment Department