For almost 20 years, the Academicus has honored ideas from students, teaching staff and employees that provide creative impulses for studying, teaching and campus life at TUM. In this year's competition, the jury awarded prizes for the “Outdoor Lecture Hall”, “TUMgoesOutside”, and “Community Tables”, three proposals that aim to make TUM's campuses even more lively, colorful, and open.
Studying at the Technical University of Munich
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) combines academic education at the cutting edge of current research with a lifelong commitment to education and an entrepreneurial mindset. Its unique range of disciplines includes engineering, natural sciences, life sciences, medicine, political and social sciences as well as management. As one of eleven German Universities of Excellence, it is one of the most renowned technical universities globally.
Current Information – Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2
- “2G rule” for on-campus courses: access to on-campus courses only for students with proof of vaccination or recovery.
- “3G plus rule” for in-person exams: participation in in-peson exams only for students with proof of vaccination, recovery or a negative PCR test.
- Vaccination offers for students: www.tum.de/en/corona-vaccination
- Hygiene concept: mask mandate and contact tracing
- Please note the rules on notification if you develop corona symptoms, have been tested positive respectively have had contact with a person tested positive, or have entered the country from a risk area.
- Examination deadlines: study progress checks are extended again in winter semester 2021/22.
- Please be sure to check our info-website on current measures regularly for updates.
News from the Campus
Graduates of the Technical University of Munich (TUM) are in demand with companies worldwide. This is seen yet again in the latest edition of the Global University Employability Ranking, in which TUM holds the number 13 position. This places it among the top four universities in Europe.
More and more children cannot swim safely. The situation was worsened by the fact that hundreds of thousands of children were unable to attend swimming courses due to the corona pandemic. Accordingly the number of swimming tests decreased by 70 percent. In a pilot project by the Applied Sports Science Unit at the Technical University of Munich, students have now been trained to support swimming lessons in primary schools.
University President Prof. Thomas F. Hofmann finds it "the best event of the year": On Monday he was able to welcome thousands of new students to the Technical University of Munich (TUM) during the first-semester reception on the Garching campus. For the first time, as many as approximately 14,000 students have matriculated for the 2021 winter semester at TUM. 4,000 of the new students won in the lottery for party invitations and gathered together outdoors in front of the TUM Department of Mathematics.
Anyone new to university, perhaps even coming to Germany for the first time, is initially faced with the challenge of finding an apartment at the place of study. This is not easy, especially in and around Munich. At TUM, however, there is plenty of support for students looking for a place to live. In this interview, Chiu-Li Tseng introduces some of the services and gives valuable tips on how to successfully find a room.