Your Start at TUM
First semester welcome, campus tours, a joint pub evening with the new fellow students – this is how the semester usually starts. But in Corona times, much of this is not possible in the usual form.
Nevertheless, we want you to get the best possible start to your studies. On this page you will find offers to get to know your campus, to network with other students and much more.
Discover your TUM!
Support and Advice
TUM offers comprehensive support to prospective und current students in every individual situation. You can find an overview of all services under Support & Advice.
For all general questions about studying at TUM and university life, the General Student Advising is at your disposal.
Specific questions about your degree program, the organization of your studies or examinations will be answered by the Departmental Student Advising. You can find your respective contact person via the search field in the right margin column.
Getting to know TUM
Introductory events, campus and library tours – make yourself familiar with the university.
The University Library offers various services to support you from day one of your studies:
International Campus Life of the TUM Global & Alumni Office offers various events for primarily for international students, but the events are open to all TUM students: from excursions to the “Länderabend” to the Language Café. Find all offers here.
Offers of the schools and departments
Guidance during your studies, information about courses or exchange with fellow students – your school or department will be happy to help you.
- Information for first-year students
- Mentoring program for international exchange students
- There is also a buddy program and weekly game nights for first-year students. If you are interested, please contact Eva Bodemer and Viktoria Klugbauer.
- Information for first-year students (German)
- Current information by the Dean of Studies
- Mentoring program for international exchange students
- Buddy program for first semester students of the master program Neuroengineering. Interested students please contact msne(at)ei.tum.de.
- Buddy program for first semester students of the master program Communications Engineering.Interested students please contact msce(at)ei.tum.de.
- Buddy program for first semester students of the master program Power Engineering. Interested students please contact mspe(at)ei.tum.de.
The Academic Advisiors Informatics advise you on all upcoming questions regarding the start of your studies and give tips for successful studies. During your entire study life, we are there for you as a contact person and offer information events on all important topics every semester.
Before the start of lectures, the following offers are already available for you at the Department of Informatics:
- Preparatory and holiday courses
- Preparatory course for students with vocational qualification
- Study Introduction Days of the Student Council MPI
- Online get-together with fellow students
- Buddy program for international and exchange students
- Mentoring program for first-year Bachelor students. If you are interested, please contact Dr. Florian Lindemann.
- Mentoring program for first-year students in bachelor's programs. Interested students please contact Olivia Chia-Leeson.
- Buddy program for international students. Interested students please contact Viola Probst.
The student advisor for the Master's program Ivana Jurik and the student advisor for the Bachelor's program Ekaterina Bondarenko will advise you on all questions regarding the upcoming start of your studies and give you tips for a successful study. Throughout your studies, we are there for you as contact persons and offer information sessions on all important topics.
At TUM School of Management the Program Manager of your study program is your main contact person for all study related questions. We offer information sessions and consultation hours for you in order to successfully complete your degree. You can find our contact details at https://www.wi.tum.de/contact/.
- Buddy Program for Freshers and Exchange students
- New Campus Life
- Living in Munich
- Virtual Campus Tour in Munich
For more information regarding your studies, please keep a close look on your (TUM) mail inbox.
IT at TUM
TUMonline, Moodle & Co - learn more about the digital tools for your studies.
Studying in times of Corona
Hygiene rules, contact tracing, online teaching – study safely and successfully in times of the pandemic.
If an infection occurs during courses or in study areas on campus, all contacts need to be traceable. Only in this way can chains of infection be broken. All information on contact tracing at TUM can be found here.
Whether it's student advising, help in finding accommodation or support for barrier-free education - here you find information and contacts.
The Münchner Volkshochschule (Munich Adult Education Center) offers a comprehensive program of courses specifically designed to prepare students for and accompany their studies – from preliminary math courses, languages and programming skills to research and citation techniques and tips on how to manage one's finances.
Not everyone likes to study alone at home. Here you will find offers to learn together with fellow students.
MatchNLearn is a platform developed by TUM students to match learning partners as ideally as possible.
Please note: MatchNLearn is not an offer of TUM. Therefore, TUM does not assume any liability for the linked content. The operators of the linked pages are solely responsible for their content.