For new discoveries through basic research or technical solutions for people and society: In central fiels of science we collaborate with prestigious partner institutions – from Munich’s unique ecosystem to research institutions around the world.
The Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers and TUM are connected by joint professorial appointments and close research collaborations, especially at the Helmholtz site in north Munich. TUM researchers based there tackle central issues of health and the environment.
TUM collaborates closely with the Max Planck Society (MPG) on fundamental scientific questions. Several Nobel laureates are alumni of our university or have served as professors here. We have particularly close relationships with Max Planck Institutes in and around Munich, especially on the Garching Research Campus:
TUM has been enjoying close connections to the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft for many years through numerous collaborations in applied sciences. Several of the non-university research organization’s institutions are led by elite researchers from TUM.
- Fraunhofer Institute for Applied and Integrated Security (AISEC)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Casting, Composite and Processing Technology (ICGV)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Cognitive Systems (IKS)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Interfacial Engineering and Biotechnology (IGB)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Process Engineering and Packaging (IVV)
Not only can the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and the Humanities count numerous TUM researchers among its members, it has also appointed leading experts from our university to lead its internationally renowned research institutes.