Collaborative Research Centers (CRC)

Here you will find an overview of all Collaborative Research Centers the Technical University of Munich is involved in.

What are Collaborative Research Centers?
  • Collaborative Research Centers (CRC; short SFB for german ‘Sonderforschungsbereich’) are university research projects which are funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), generally for a period of up to 12 years.
  • Transregional Collaborative Research Centers (referred to as TRR) are created when two or three universities apply for funding and jointly steer the research project.
  • Sub-projects of other universities or research institutes may be involved.
  • Collaborative Research Centers provide a platform for conducting complex, long-term research.
  • In particular, they support the professional development of young scientists, promoting cooperation across different disciplines, fields of specialization, institutes and faculties.
  • These collaborative alliances strengthen the academic relationships between universities and other research institutes.

For further information about Collaboration Research Centers, please consult the website of the DFG.

6 Collaborative Research Centers coordinated by TUM

Collaborative Research Centers with TUM participation

Technical University of Munich

Office for Research and Innovation (TUM ForTe)
Arcisstr. 21
80333 München
Tel: +49 89 289 25236


Are you planning to submit a proposal for a collaborative project?

The National Research Funding Support offers advice on applications for 

  • Collaborative Research Centers/Transregios, 
  • Research Training Groups, 
  • Priority Programs and
  • Research Units. 

TUM supports professors who are preparing proposals with TUM as the lead coordinator/spokesperso with the TUM Seed Fund.