The Studienkolleg is an educational institution for students who are qualified to study in another country, but not in Germany. The final exam after the course at the Studienkolleg is the so-called Feststellungsprüfung. Successfully completing this exam qualifies you to apply for a degree program at a German university. The preparatory phase in the Studienkolleg takes 2 semesters.
The Studienkolleg München ist responsible for applicants to all bavarian universities, including TUM.
Be sure to check as soon as possible whether your secondary school diploma qualifies you for direct access to a German university. If you are qualified to study in your own country, but not in Germany, then the courses at Studienkolleg are a way to qualify for a regular degree program at a German university. In some countries, you also need to have completed a university entrance exam or to have studied for at least one year at a univerity or similar institution.
- On the Deutschen Akademischen Austausch Dienstes DAAD website, you will find an overview of applicants for whom the assessment test is required and those who may be admitted directly into the German university system.
- Important information on recognizing and assessing educational certificates and diplomas awarded in other countries can be found in the Datenbank anabin of the Bavarian Central Accreditation Agency.
Please be aware that the language of instruction at Studienkolleg is German. To apply, you need to provide proof that your German language skills are at least on Level B2. During the admission exam to Studienkolleg you will then have to prove that your language skills are sufficient to successfully complete the course there.
If you apply for Studienkolleg, you do not need a Preliminary Documentation (VPD) by uni-assist.
Additional regulations apply to applicants from certain countries. For more information, see "Online Application"
Applications for Studienkolleg are filed via our online application portal TUMonline – you cannot apply directly at the Studienkolleg itself. During the online application, you will be asked which degree program you wish to apply for after successfully completing the Feststellungsprüfung. The degree program you choose in this step determines the course at Studienkolleg you are assigned to, so choose carefully.
- For summer semester: 15.11. – 15.01.
- For winter semester: 15.05. – 15.07.
By the end of the application period, you must have completed the online application and uploaded all required documents:
- your higher education entrance qualification
- a translation of your higher education entrance qualification by a sworn translator, if it has not originally been issued in German or English.
- your passport
- a current and complete curriculum vitae in German detailing schools visited, examinations passed, etc.
- Proof of German-language proficiency Level B2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
- verification of any prior university study (e.g. Transcript of Records)
- a certificate issued by the “Akademische Prüfstelle“ (APS) (for applicants from China or Vietnam)
- please note the special rules applying to specific countries
Applicants from Iran with a secondary school leaving certificate obtained later than June 2019 require a decision from the Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle (ZAST). Only if this notice is submitted in time by the Studienkolleg application deadline can we continue to process your application. If the confirmation is not received in time, you can only reapply for the next semester.
In order to receive the decision from the Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle, apply for the Studienkolleg via TUMonline in the regular way and upload your documents. As soon as your documents have been processed, you will receive a confirmation in your TUMonline account and by e-mail that you need to submit a notice from the ZAST. You can then use this email from TUM to request the document you need from ZAST.
To do this, send your original certificates, a translation (from Germany or Iran with legalization from the German embassy) and the e-mail from TUM to the certificate recognition office:
Bayerisches Landesamt für Schule – Abteilung Zeugnisanerkennung
Stuttgarter Straße 1
Current information and a contact form can also be found on the website of the Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle (German)
If you comply with the admission criteria and all of your documents have been checked successfully, you will receive an invitation to the admissions exam at Studienkolleg. The same message also informs you about your assigned area of concentration – depending on the desired degree program you stated during the online application.
Areas of Concentration
Studienkolleg offers several areas of concentation. Depending on the choice made in TUMonline, you are assigned to one of the three courses
- T-course for technical and mathematical programs and programs in the natural sciences
- M-course for medical programs and programs connected with biosciences or sports
- W-course for business and economics programs.
- G-course for programs in arts and humanities.
You can only take the exam if you have received an invitation from a university – e.g. from TUM.
The admission exam takes place on a certain date for every semester. The dates can also be found on the website of the Studienkolleg.
Should you fail the exam, you can repeat it twice. Should you not attend an exam date, it will count as a fail – provided you do not inform the Studienkolleg in time via email, including your application number.
If you are assigned to the T-course, the M-course or the W-course, you also have to complete a maths test.
If you pass the admission exam, you can start your course at Studienkolleg.
Once you receive your offer of admission, you can download the application for enrollment in your TUMonline account. You need to download it, sign it, and send submit it to TUM together with the remaining documents for enrollment. You can do this in person or via post. A list of these documents will also be available in TUMonline.
As soon as
- your application for enrollment
- and all documents for enrollment are received
- and the payment of the semester fees is confirmed,
you are enrolled as a regular student at TUM.
As student at Studienkolleg, you only have to pay the student union fees.
After 2 semesters (one year) you take the so-called Feststellungsprüfung. If you pass, you receive a subject specific higher education entrance qualification for Germany – and are free to apply for the bachelor's program of your choice (see step 1).