Fees and Financial Aid
Studying costs money. Those who cannot afford to pay for rent, food and student union fees on their own or with help from their parents, have different options for financing their studies - from BAföG and student loans to a part-time job or scholarship. We have gathered all the information and contacts you will need on the subject of fees and financial aid. In Addition you can find more information about the Basic Student Union Fee and the Basic Semester Ticket of the different campus locations of TUM.
You can also look up the amount of your semester fee on TUMonline. How to find your semester fee status on TUMonline is explained at „Administration of Fees“.
Current Information – Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2
As of 3 April 2022, the 3G requirement and compliance checks cease to apply.
Pending further information on the extension of the mask requirement, we urgently and emphatically recommend the use of FFP2 masks on all TUM premises where the minimum distance of 1.5 meters cannot be maintained.
Examination deadlines: study progress checks are extended again in winter semester 2021/22.
- Please be sure to check our info-website on current measures regularly for updates.
Information concerning the "9 Euro Ticket"
- The validated student ID with MVV logo is valid as a "9 Euro Ticket" in the months of June, July and August 2022. You do not have to buy a separate 9 Euro-Ticket.
- The solidarity contribution will be compensated as part of a one-time reduction of the contribution fee of 9 Euro upon enrollment or re-registration for winter semester 2022/23. This regulation affects students at the Munich, Garching and Weihenstephan campuses. Therefore, for the winter semester 2022/23 you have to transfer a fee reduced by 9 Euro. Details can be found on this page.
- Individual refunds of the difference (9 Euro) for summer semester 22 (e.g. for students who are no longer enrolled in winter semester 22) are not possible.
- Partial refund for the IsarCard Semester will be made upon application to the transportation company (MVG, DB, etc.) where you purchased the ticket. All reimbursement requests must be submitted by 30.09.2022. For more information, please visit https://www.mvg.de/mvg/services/aktuelles/9-euro-erstattung-semester.html.
- Further information can also be found on the following websites:
Semester Fees and Payment Deadlines
The semester fees, which consist of the basic student union fee and the fees for the basic semester ticket, must be transferred in time for each semester in which you wish to begin or continue your studies.
For winter semester 22/23 this fee amounts to
- 138.00 Euro for students in Munich, Garching and Weihenstephan,
- 62.00 Euro for students in Straubing,
- 92.00 Euro for students in Heilbronn.
Please note: Additional fees may apply for Executive Master's Programs and programs of TUM Asia. Information on this can be found at the respective department or school.
The payment deadline for first-time enrollment for the summer semester is Mar. 15, for the winter semester Sept. 15.
The payment deadline for continued enrollment for the summer semester is Feb. 15, for the winter semester Aug. 15.
You can find all the exceptions from these deadlines on the following sites.
Your transfer will appear in the TUMonline account within approx. 5 working days. Please do not contact us before the payment has not been registered for at least one week.
Your enrollment will not take place until payment has been received. If you have missed the payment deadline, please pay the fee without further delay.
Information about the Basic Student Union Fee and the Semester Ticket for Students at Campus Munich, Garching, Freising-Weihenstephan and TUM Asia in Singapore.
Students at Campus Straubing need only pay the Basic Student Union Fee for Lower Bavaria / Upper Palatinate. Be sure to read the information about your campus carefully.
For study courses at Campus Heilbronn you must pay the Basic Student Union Fee for Munich and the Basic Semester Ticket for Heilbronn. Please read the following information carefully.
If you are studying two degrees at once at TUM, within Bavaria or TUM and the other one outside Bavaria you maybe don´t have to pay the Basic Student Union Fee.
Please read the following information about the semester fees for parallel studies.