Cabinet meeting at TUM IAS: New center for robotics, artificial intelligence and digital medicine
Bavaria invests in digital research and teaching at TUM
The investment program, planned to last from 2018 until 2022, will have a volume of approximately three billion Euros and 2,000 jobs. It covers ten areas of digitalization, from infrastructure and IT security to education, medicine, and technologies in a large number of economic sectors and aspects of life.
The cabinet invited TUM President Wolfgang A. Herrmann and TUM professor emeritus Manfred Broy, President of the Bavarian Digitalization Center, to its meeting at the TUM-IAS as experts. Herrmann called for the international orientation of the master plan.
TUM plays an essential role in "Bayern Digital II", in particular in the context of the following measures:
- Establishment of a center of excellence promoting digital teaching and learning at teacher training universities
- Additional degree programs in the area of human-machine interaction / human-centric engineering
- New professorships for agricultural research
- Expansion of fortiss to become the Bavarian Center for Artificial Intelligence. Fortiss is a TUM Affiliated Institute for the development of digital technologies.
- Support for the German Digital Hub Mobility. The German Federal Government recently designated UnternehmerTUM, the Center for Innovation and Business Creation at TUM, as a Digital Hub. Digital Hubs are intended to bring together start-ups, established companies, science and investors.
- Establishment of a worldwide leading center of excellence for assistance robotics, with TUM as one of two centers of activity
- Founding of a scientific alliance of Bavarian university hospitals in the area of digital medicine
- Expansion of the Bavarian Digitalization Center (ZD.B). TUM plays a central role at this Bavarian State institution that focuses on building expertise in research and industry, promoting start-ups and networking science and business.
Technical University of Munich
Corporate Communications Center
- Klaus Becker
- klaus.becker @tum.de
- presse @tum.de