International Higher Education Entrance Qualification

Direct admission to study at TUM depends primarily on whether the school leaving degree obtained abroad is equivalent to the German university entrance qualification.


All applicants require a higher education entrance qualification. If a school-leaving degree from another country is not comparable to the German university entrance qualification, direct admission can only be granted after attending a Studienkollegs (preparatory studies) and after having taken the university qualification assessment examination. Further information is available via the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service).

Subject-related qualification

Subject-related means that you are eligible to study certain subjects only.

If your university entrance qualification allows you to only study certain subjects in your home country, then subject-bound admission also applies when you enroll as a student at TUM. Your application will only be accepted to the programs you are allowed to study in your home country.

Verification of Degrees

All applicants who have not obtained their higher education entrance qualification in Germany or have not completed their German school-leaving examination (Abitur), must apply for a Preliminary Documentation Request to uni-assist before submitting an application to TUM.

Learn more about uni-assist