University President Prof. Thomas F. Hofmann finds it "the best event of the year": On Monday he was able to welcome thousands of new students to the Technical University of Munich (TUM) during the first-semester reception on the Garching campus. For the first time, as many as approximately 14,000 students have matriculated for the 2021 winter semester at TUM. 4,000 of the new students won in the lottery for party invitations and gathered together outdoors in front of the TUM Department of Mathematics.
Studying at the Technical University of Munich
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) combines academic education at the cutting edge of current research with a lifelong commitment to education and an entrepreneurial mindset. Its unique range of disciplines includes engineering, natural sciences, life sciences, medicine, political and social sciences as well as management. As one of eleven German Universities of Excellence, it is one of the most renowned technical universities globally.
Current Information – Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2
- “3G rule”: access to on-campus courses only with proof of testing, vaccination or recovery if the 7-day incidence exceeds 35; exemption for on-campus exams
- Vaccination offers for students: www.tum.de/en/corona-vaccination
- Hygiene concept: mask mandate and contact tracing
- Please note the rules on notification if you develop corona symptoms, have been tested positive respectively have had contact with a person tested positive, or have entered the country from a risk area.
- Please note: For the winter semester 2021/22, Corona-related special regulations do no longer apply.
- Please be sure to check our info-website on current measures regularly for updates.
News from the Campus
Anyone new to university, perhaps even coming to Germany for the first time, is initially faced with the challenge of finding an apartment at the place of study. This is not easy, especially in and around Munich. At TUM, however, there is plenty of support for students looking for a place to live. In this interview, Chiu-Li Tseng introduces some of the services and gives valuable tips on how to successfully find a room.
"We want to make sure that the topic of mental health is visible and talked about," says Kirsten Bannert, the organizer of the TUM4Mind project. This fall we will organize the third digital "Mental Health" action week. From November 8 to 12, 2021, there will be numerous interactive online workshops, in German and in English.
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) continues to attract talented people from all over the world. As in the previous year, around 14,000 new students have enrolled in the approximately 180 degree programs offered in Munich, Garching, Freising, Straubing and Heilbronn. The number of students has now topped the 48,000 mark for the first time, with the share of international students at a record level of 38 percent.
Take on a maths challenge, think about global waste reduction, plan a study abroad trip: Current dates, deadlines and offers for our students for the start of the winter semester 2021/22.