The high-tech campus north of Munich is TUM's largest location and one of the most modern research and training facilities in Europe.
The Garching campus is home to world-class research and teaching in the natural sciences and engineering. Our schools and research centers are located in close proximity to world-renowned research institutions, technology start-ups and industrial companies. A unique hub of scientific expertise that benefits students, researchers, and start-up companies alike: for education, for collaboration in cutting-edge research or for technological innovation. The campus is key to Munich's high-tech ecosystem.
Today's district of the university town of Garching in northern Munich began in 1957 with the commissioning of the first research reactor, the Garching "Atomic Egg". Other institutes, departments, and companies followed, and in 2006 the U6 underground line connected the campus to downtown Munich. The campus is also easily accessible from the highway and Munich Airport. In the future, it will continue to develop into a vibrant "science city".
- Catalysis Research Center (CRC)
- Center for Functional Protein Assemblies (CPA)
- Research Neutron Source Heinz Maier-Leibnitz (FRM II)
- Institute for Advanced Study (IAS)
- Munich Data Science Institute (MDSI)
- Munich Institute of Biomedical Engineering (MIBE)
- Munich Institute of Integrated Materials, Energy and Process Engineering (MEP)
- Munich Institute of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MIRMI)
- Walter Schottky Institute Center for Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials (WSI)
- Center for Quantum Engineering (ZQE) - under construction
Strong teamwork: Together with our partners, we conduct research in powerful research alliances, the Clusters of Excellence. We use laboratories and facilities from TUM, the Max Planck Institutes and LMU Munich here on campus.
Research, practice and teaching for the successful founding of technology companies united under one roof.
Whether it's a canteen, student pub or cafés and restaurants: there are various dining options spread across the campus.
- Canteen Garching (Mensa) of the Studierendenwerk / Student Union
- Cafés and espresso bars of the Studierendenwerk / Student Union
- C2 - Campus Cneipe
- Snack stands at Boltzmannstraße 11 (at the Munich Institute of Biomedical Engineering)
- Gastronomy in the GALILEO building (next to the subway)
- Bistros and cafeterias in various schools and research facilities
Information, advice and other childcare services for TUM students and employees are provided by the Family Service of the Diversity & Equal Opportunities Office.