Latest Shanghai Ranking of academic subjects released
TUM among the top 25 in five subjects
Developed at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, key criteria for the rankings are the number and citation rates of papers published, especially in leading journals in the respective fields and the degree of international cooperation in the related research. In some areas, the number of major prizes awarded to scientists is also taken into account. These indicators are weighted according to the prevailing culture in the various subject areas.
In the new issue of the Global Rankings of Academic Subjects, TUM is among the 25 best universities in the world in the following subjects:
- Remote Sensing: 4th (in Germany: 1st)
- Medical Technology: 10th (in Germany: 1st)
- Environmental Science & Engineering: 16th (in Germany: 1st)
- Aerospace Engineering: 21st (in Germany: 1st)
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering: 22nd (in Germany: 1st)
In two other subjects, TUM is among the top 50:
- Agricultural Sciences: 37th (in Germany: 2nd)
- Biotechnology: 40th (in Germany: 1st)
TUM also achieves excellent results in other subject rankings: In the QS World University Rankings by Subject, it is among the world’s 25 best universities in five subjects and among the top 50 in six other areas. In the latest THE World University Rankings by Subject, TUM placed 14th worldwide in computer science, 22nd in engineering, 23rd in physical sciences (comprising most natural sciences subjects) and 43rd in life sciences.