Preliminary Documentation by uni-assist
Uni-assist e.V. is the "University Application Service for International Students." Uni-assist processes applications from international students on behalf of Technische Universität München.
Be sure to check whether you need a preliminary documentation (VPD) before applying to TUM. If the document is required for your application, you need to apply for a VPD via uni-assist as well as apply to TUM directly via TUMonline.
An application for a VPD via uni-assist alone does not qualify as an application for a degree program at TUM.
Uni-assist performs preliminary processing and evaluation of the applicant's university entrance qualification (for bachelor's) or master qualification materials (for master's), running a check of the applicants’ certificates to determine which grades they have on the German grading system. This preliminary documentation (VPD) informs applicants whether they qualify to study all subjects (general qualification), only certain subjects (subject-restricted qualification) or postgradual studies (master's).
Who has to apply via uni-assist?
- All applicants for a bachelor's or teaching degree, who did not obtain their university entrance qualification in Germany or from a school that offers the equivalent of the German Abitur exam. This also applies for applicants pursuing a spot in an advanced semester of any degree program.
- All applicants for a master's degree who did not obtain their qualification for postgraduate studies (usually a bachelor's degree) in a country within the EU/EEA. Applicants with a qualification for postgraduate studies obtained in Switzerland do not need a preliminary documentation.
- All applicants with an International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) who do not yet have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition.
Who does not have to apply via uni-assist?
For a Bachelor's:
- All applicants who obtained their university entrance qualification in Germany or their Abitur certificate (graduation diploma) from a school that applies the German Abitur examination rules.
- Applicants who have completed preparatory studies in a Studienkolleg in Germany.
- Students seeking admission to the Studienkolleg must apply directly to the TU München, not through uni-assist!
- Graduates of the European Schools system in Germany: Along with their qualification certificate, these applicants must submit an attestation from the Bavarian Certification Recognition Office (Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle) stating their final overall grade or the "certificate of German grade calculation for the ZVS (central admissions agency). More information
- AbiBac applicants: Along with their qualification certificate, these applicants must submit the "certificate of general university entrance qualification" to the TUM.
- Graduates of the German Schools system in Greece: Along with your supplementary examination certificate, please submit your Apolytirio (school-leaving certificate).
- Applicants with an International Baccalaureate Diploma who already have a Notification of the Office for Certificate Recognition
- Applicants for Double Degree Programs at TUM.
For a Master's:
- Applicants with a qualification for postgraduate studies (e.g. a bachelor's degree) obtained within the EU / EEA or Switzerland.
How to apply for a Preliminary Documentation (VPD)
How do I apply for a Preliminary Documentation (VPD)?
Fill out the application for a preliminary documentation (VPD) and send it together with the required documents to
In addition, you need to apply via the uni-assist web portal. During the online application at uni-assist, choose the TUM and the option "all degree courses" ("Alle Fächer"). Do not choose a specific program.
You can have your documents reviewed by uni-assist any time of the year. Please note, however, that the application deadline at TUM must be met.
Please be aware that an application for a preliminary documentation (VPD) does not count as an application to TUM. You need to apply for your desired degree program via TUMonline as well.
What documents do I need to submit to uni-assist?
For applications to bachelor's degree programs, submit
- a certified copy of your university entrance qualification in its original language
- a certified translation, given that the original document has not been issued in either German or English
- a copy of your I.D.
For applications to master's degree programs, sumbit
- a certified copy of your degree certificate (if available)
- a certified copy of your transcript of records
- a certified translation, given that the original documents have not been issued in either German or English
Please note the special conditions that apply to applicants from China, Austria, South Tyrol, Vietnam and applicants with an IB (International Baccalaureate Diploma).
When is the submission deadline for the Preliminary Documentation (VPD) at TUM?
Please make sure your application for preliminary documentation along with your complete set of documents and payment is received by uni-assist before
- 15.07. for bachelor's programs starting in the winter semester
- 15.01. for bachelor's programs starting in the summer semester
- the end of the respective application period for master's programs.
Please note that you have to apply for the preliminary documentation at uni-assist within the relevant application deadline for the desired degree course at TUM.
In the online application, you can confirm the timely application for a preliminary documentation with our confirmation form. Fill it in, sign it and submit it instead of your preliminary documentation in order to complete the online application. Submit the preliminary documentation itself as soon as you receive it.
Please be sure to hand in your preliminary documentation to TUM as soon as you receive it. Only then are your application documents complete, and only then can you receive an invitation for the aptitude test etc.
What does it cost to apply to uni-assist?
When sending your application for preliminary documentation, you must transfer certain fees to uni-assist. (more information on applicable fees)
Please note that if the fees are not transferred, uni-assist cannot process your application. (more information on transferring fees)
Feel free to include a copy of your account statement or a bank slip showing payment when sending your documents.
How long does the process at uni-assist take?
It usually takes about three weeks for uni-assist to process your application. Please allow for a few additional days as questions or requests for clarification could cause the process to take longer. Uni-assist will send you your preliminary documentation by mail.