Master of Science (M.Sc.)
Jointly awarded by TUM and National University of Singapore (NUS), the program is conducted in Singapore and serves to be an enabling postgraduate course for specialist engineers for the pharmaceutical, as well as the fine and speciality chemical industries.TUM Asia
Information on Degree Program
TUM Asia aims to groom future leaders in selected areas of technology. Specifically, the 2-year full-time Master of Science in Industrial Chemistry will be an enabling postgraduate course for specialist engineers for the pharmaceutical, as well as the fine and specialty chemical industries. The degree will be jointly awarded by Technische Universität München (TUM) and the National University of Singapore (NUS). According to several independent rankings, the Faculty of Chemistry of TUM represents one of the leading in Germany in terms of both research and education with more than 50 professors and their research groups covering diverse fields in modern chemistry.
The master program offers selected facets of chemistry, it combines parts of the classic inorganic and polymer chemistry with chemical engineering subject. Due to the complexity and diversity of industrial chemistry three major specialization catalysis and petrochemistry, building and material science, and interdisciplinary combination are offered. The three major specialisations, which are complementary and require similar skills, will be intensively taught separately to those who choose them, in the latter part of the course. The master programme will provide graduates with the necessary knowledge and skills to successfully master the challenges faced in the area of chemistry, chemical engineering and construction chemistry. It will show methods on how to guaranty affordable and sustainable processes in the chemical industry by using the available resources as efficient as possible.
Required language skills for admission:
An adequate knowledge of the English language; students whose native language or language of instruction is not English must demonstrate proficiency through an acknowledged language test such as “Test of English as a Foreign Language“ (TOEFL) (minimum 88 points), “International English Language Testing System” (IELTS) (minimum 6.5 points), or “Cambridge Main Suite of English Examinations”.
Language of instruction:
The language of instruction for this program is English.
All the graduates of the master program have a profound knowledge of organometallic-, advanced inorganic and polymer chemistry. Regardless of their specialization, the graduates are able to use methods to improve chemical processes, reaction conditions, and existing synthesis methods by using alternative and more efficient reaction pathways. The master program graduates have the necessary knowledge and skills to successfully master the challenges faced in the area of chemical reaction engineering, homogenous and heterogeneous catalysts synthesis and design. Furthermore, they will understand the interactions between organic and inorganic materials. Thus, the graduates are able to evaluate and predict the macroscopic physical and chemical properties of the resulting mixtures.
Upon graduation, the students are able to transfer the theoretical knowledge gained throughout the lectures to practical application. This enables them to work independently in research laboratories in industry or universities. Furthermore, all graduates will gain insights into business management and administration as well as marketing and international intellectual property laws. Hence, the graduates gain the necessary skills to work in multi-national companies and understand the complex structure of the same.
A major part of the graduates from the Master of Industrial Chemistry program choose to work in the research and development field as product or laboratory manager, where they have leading positions in chemical and pharmaceutical companies, while the other part of the graduates decides to proceed subsequently with a Ph.D. research project in German or at local universities.
Binding Regulations for Progression of Studies, Examinations and Application
Application and Admission
- Applicants meeting the admission requirement submit their Online Application via www.tum-asia.edu.sg and then send TUM Asia their hardcopy documents, together with the application fee. TUM Asia will release the result via email to the student.
DEGREE/FH DIPLOMA* REQUIREMENTS
- In order to be eligible for the program, you must have at least a Bachelor Degree** (completed in at least three years, depending on factors such as the rest of your education background) in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry or in a closely related discipline with remarkable results. **Academic requirements may differ for different countries of study. Please write to us at admission(at)tum-asia.edu.sg to verify your requirements.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE SKILLS
- As the Master of Science program’s instruction medium is English, the applicant must be able to demonstrate a satisfactory level of proficiency in the English language. Applicant whose native tongue or medium of instruction from previous studies (Bachelor / FH Diploma) is not English must submit at least one of the following:
- TOEFL (www.toefl.org): Recent score with a Minimum 88* for the Internet-Based Test (TOEFL code: 7368)
- IELTS (www.ielts.org): With academic IELTS result of at least 6.5
SPECIAL CRITERIA (China, Vietnam & Mongolia)
- Additionally, an Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) certificate is required for applicants with education qualifications from China, Vietnam or Mongolia. The APS certificate is compulsory if your Bachelor studies was completed in a Chinese, Vietnamese or Mongolian university, irregardless of nationality. For example, a Singapore citizen who completed his entire undergraduate studies in a Chinese university, and holds a Chinese degree, must sit for the APS test and pass it in order to qualify for admissions to a German university. If you are making any application to a German university (including the TUM degrees at TUM Asia), the APS certificate is required for all education qualifications from China, Vietnam or Mongolia.
For more information, please click here.
For more information on the application procedure and required documents, please visit TUM Asia.
Applications open 1 October every year
Aptitude assessment (EV):
This is a two-stage process in which the faculty checks after an official application whether you meet the specific requirements for the master's program.
In the first stage, the final Bachelor grade and the submitted documents are evaluated using a points system. Depending on the number of points achieved, applicants are either admitted immediately, rejected or invited to an interview.
The 3-month internship and 6-month Master Thesis may be undertaken in Singapore or anywhere in the world with a company, university or research institute.
What are my options after earning this degree?
You have earned your master’s degree and are ready to start your career? TUM Alumni & Career can assist you with questions regarding professional orientation, job search and job application.
If you are interested in continuing your studies, you will find information of doctoral studies at TUM, here.
TUM Asia offers a variety of scholarships and grants for both undergraduate and graduate students. For more information, please visit our website.