Online learning worldwide with MOOCs
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) are interactive, web-based modules, available free of charge from anywhere in the world. Quick to realize the potential of this learning format, the Technical University of Munich (TUM) was one of the first German universities to publish its own MOOCs on renowned US platforms. An ever-expanding MOOC offering enriches the university’s teaching repertoire, while offering a global audience access to first-class education opportunities.
Focused preparation for a master's degree: MOOCs for Masters is a new initiative at TUM that aims to help prepare students for successful master’s degree studies. The initiative will fund a number of MOOCs on topics connected to TUM’s international graduate programs. Learn more: MOOCs for Masters
Starts December 5, 2016, 1st session
Lecturers: Prof. Gerhard Müller (TUM), Dr.-Ing. Martin Buchschmid (TUM), Prof. Bernhard Seeber (TUM), Prof. Michael Vorländer (RWTH Aachen), Prof. Janina Fels (RWTH Aachen), Prof. Ercan Altinsoy (TU Dresden), Prof. Sebastian Möller (TU Berlin), Prof. Stefan Weinzierl (TU Berlin), Dr. Jens Ahrens (CTH)
Introduction to MATLAB (edX)
Starts September 26, 2016, 1st session.
Lecturer: Christian Karpfinger
The material remains available on the respective platforms after the end of the course.
Autonomous Navigation for Flying Robots (edX)
Introduction to Computer Vision (Coursera)
First Session: January 13 - February 24, 2014
Re-Run: January 19 - April 1, 2015
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Martin Kleinsteuber
Introduction to Trauma Surgery (Coursera)
First Session: June 20 -September 7, 2014
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Peter Biberthaler
LOOP – Learn object-oriented programming (edX) – in German
Discover Excellence in Engineering and the Natural Sciences - Made in Germany. Discover TU9!
First Session: October 20 - December 21, 2014
Lecturers of TUM: Prof. Dr. Birgit Vogel-Heuser, Prof. Dr. Gerhard Müller, Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Utschick
Quality Engineering and Management: Fundamentals of Six Sigma (edX)
Probability, Risk, Reliability – an Introduction for Engineers (edX)
First Session: Winter Semester 2014
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Daniel Straub
Currently only available for TUM students after log-in via TUM-Online.
Students at TUM can earn ECTS credits when they participate in an English-language MOOC. Language Center: Guided English Self-Study
Background: Learning scenarios & more
MOOCs in action: Our online courses are not intended to replace a regular degree program. However, they can enhance the university’s teaching repertoire. For example, they can be used to prepare for a course of study, to supplement lectures or to complete practical exercises (blended learning). They can also support continuing education.
- MOOCs open up new learning experiences (in German): An interview with Hans Pongratz, Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer
- MOOCS: Let's talk about opportunities and successes (in German): Blog article from Senior Vice President Hans Pongratz for the "Hochschulforum Digitalisierung"
- Blog articles about MOOCs on TUM's teaching blog
- Youtube-Playlist "MOOCs" of the Stifterverband foundation
To make MOOCs available to the public, the university established non-exclusive partnerships with the following renowned American platform providers:
- Coursera: Stanford University spin-off with over 12 million users and more than 115 education partners worldwide.
- edX: Founded as a cooperation between MIT, Harvard University & the University of California, Berkeley, edX is a non-profit organization. TUM is one of the universities specially chosen by edX to offer online courses.