Fees and Financial Aid
Studying costs money. Those who cannot afford to pay for rent, food and student union fees on their own or with help from their parents, have different options for financing their studies - from BAföG and student loans to a part-time job or scholarship. We have gathered all the information and contacts you will need on the subject of fees and financial aid. In Addition you can find more information about the Basic Student Union Fee and the Basic Semester Ticket of the different campus locations of TUM.
You can also look up the amount of your semester fee on TUMonline. How to find your semester fee status on TUMonline is explained at „Administration of Fees“.
Current Information - Coronavirus SARS-Cov-2 - Covid-19
The lecture period in the summer semester starts regularly on 20.04.2020 and is extended until 07 August 2020.
- Please take note of the preconditions to participate in exams, lectures or seminars with up to 30 participants on campus during the CoViD-19 pandemic.
- The deadline for payment of the semester fee for first-time enrollment is extended until 15 October 2020 for the winter semester 2020/21. The deadline for payment of the semester fee for continued enrollment in the winter semester remains 15 August 2020.
- Due to the current situation with the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, our service points and other offices are only partially open for the public. You can also contact us by email or by telephone.
Please be sure to check our info-website on current measures regularly for updates.
Important notice concerning Student Cards
Due to current restrictions in university operations, Student Cards that were validated for the winter semester 2019/20 are also valid for the summer semester 2020.
The following regulations apply for the use in MVV:
- An official ID must be carried along as before. Valid Student Card and ID together are valid as a ticket.
- Students who are in their first semester in summer semester 2020 or winter semester 2020/21 and have not yet received a Student Card will receive their Student Card in due course. The prerequisite for this is a German residential address. If you come from abroad and have provided your foreign registration address, please send your German address to studium(at)tum.de so that we can send you your Student Card.
At the beginning of the winter semester 2020/21 on October 1, however, Student Cards must be validated again. Validation is only possible after enrollment for winter semester 2020/21, but then at any time.
Information about the Basic Student Union Fee and the Semester Ticket for Students at Campus Munich, Garching, Freising-Weihenstephan and TUM Asia in Singapore.
Students at Campus Straubing need only pay the Basic Student Union Fee for Lower Bavaria / Upper Palatinate. Be sure to read the information about your campus carefully.
For study courses at Campus Heilbronn you must pay the Basic Student Union Fee for Munich and the Basic Semester Ticket for Heilbronn. Please read the following information carefully.
If you are studying two degrees at once at TUM, within Bavaria or TUM and the other one outside Bavaria you maybe don´t have to pay the Basic Student Union Fee.
Please read the following information about the semester fees for parallel studies.