Reimbursement of Student Union Fees

On 24 April 2013, the Bayerische Landtag decided to eliminate university tuition fees. As of winter semester 2013/2014, students are only required to pay the student union and basic semester ticket fees in the amount of 129,40 Euro at present. 

When can fees be refunded?

Semester fees for the current semester can only be refunded if

  • your student status is officially withdrawn as of the end of the previous semester by the Admissions and Enrollment Office or by the Examination Office ("exmatrikulation")
  • you have not yet validated your StudentCard for the current semester

For further information, please also refer to Waiving a Place of Study

When can fees no longer be refunded?

  • as soon as you re-enroll for a semester and then take an exam
  • if you are mandatorily withdrawn as a result of failing an examination for the last possible time ("ENB") 
  • as soon as you validate your Student Card

In general, the student union prohibits reimbursement as of the first day you student status becomes effective in a given semester.

An Example:

You have completed your last exam on September 30, but have already re-enrolled for the following winter semester. The Examination Office then determines that you have successfully completed your studies during the previous summer semester, and retroactively withdraws your student status as of September 30.

You can now apply for reimbursement of your semester fees, provided that you forfeit your Student Card (either in person or by registered mail).

Please note

If, at the end of your studies, you take an examination which is allocated to the previous semester within the first week of the lecture period, and do not intend to take any courses, you do not have to re-enroll. This also applies for oral exams which are part of the mandatory examinations stipulated in the academic and examination regulations.

The student status is withdrawn at the end of the last semester you have re-enrolled in, not retroactively. For the submission of your thesis enrollment is, however, mandatory.

For the legally binding regulations, please refer to §14 of the General Academic and Examination Regulations for Bachelor's and Master's Programs at the Techical University of Munich.

How do I apply for reimbursement?

  • Forfeit your StudentCard either in person at the Service Desk or via registered Mail ("Einschreiben mit Rückschein"). 
  • Complete the application form and send it via e-mail to or by mail to the address given in the form. 

Contact Semester Fees Management

Student Service Center
Semester Fees Management

Office hours:

Mo to Fr 9 am -12 pm
Mo, Tues., Thurs. 1 – 4 pm

Where? Arcisstr. 21 (main campus, city center),

room 0157/0159 and 0161

On 12.12. and 13.12.2018 the offices of the semester fees management remain closed. Thank you for understanding. 

Public funds to improve conditions of study

As of 1 October 2013, TUM will receive public funds to compensate for revenue previously generated through the collection of student tuition. These funds – as with the previously collected student tuition – are to be allocated specifically for improving the conditions of study and teaching. Want to know more?