Fees and Financial Aid
Studying costs money. Those who cannot afford to pay for rent, food and student union fees on their own or with help from their parents, have different options for financing their studies - from BAföG and student loans to a part-time job or scholarship. We have gathered all the information and contacts you will need on the subject of fees and financial aid. In Addition you can find more information about the Basic Student Union Fee and the Basic Semester Ticket of the different campus locations of TUM.
You can also look up the amount of your semester fee on TUMonline. How to find your semester fee status on TUMonline is explained at „Administration of Fees“.
Current Information - Coronavirus SARS-Cov-2 - Covid-19
- Due to the current situation, the application deadline for master’s degrees has been extended until 30 June 2020 for winter semester 2020/21.
- Due to the current restrictions in university operations, we currently cannot make any statement as to whether it will be possible to move to Germany and start a degree program in the 2020 summer semester. Therefore, we recommend that international degree seeking students who have received admission for the summer semester 2020 defer their studies to the winter semester 2020/21. Admission to the program will remain valid for the winter semester 2020/21. To defer your studies, you need to submit a new application via TUMonline during the regular application period for winter semester 2020/21 and upload your documents. You can find further information on how to defer the start of your degree program on our website. We ask our exchange students to follow the instructions provided by the TUM Global & Alumni Office.
Due to the current situation with the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, our service points and other offices will remain closed for the time being. Please contact us by email instead.
Please be sure to check our info-website on current measures regularly for updates.
Important informations about the validity of the student cards for the summer semester 2020
Due to the current situation with the corona virus, students can not validate their student cards for the semester ticket for the summer semester 2020 or pick up their new student cards.
For this reason, until further notice, the MVV can be used with a purchased IsarCard semester together with the student card with following regulation:
- For students at universities with plastic cards that could not have been validated before the start of the summer semester 2020, the winter semester is in short form, e.g. WiSe 19/20 confirmed on the plastic card. Until further notice, these student cards are also valid in the summer semester 2020.
- Valid student cards and an official photo ID together are valid as a ticket.
- Students who have not received a student card yet, will receive their Student Card via post. For this reason a german home address is necessary. If you come from abroad please send your german home address to firstname.lastname@example.org so that the student card can be sent via post.
Please als look up the Homepage of the MVV.
Information about the Basic Student Union Fee and the Semester Ticket for Students at Campus Munich, Garching, Freising-Weihenstephan and TUM Asia in Singapore.
Students at Campus Straubing need only pay the Basic Student Union Fee for Lower Bavaria / Upper Palatinate. Be sure to read the information about your campus carefully.
For study courses at Campus Heilbronn you must pay the Basic Student Union Fee for Munich and the Basic Semester Ticket for Heilbronn. Please read the following information carefully.
If you are studying two degrees at once at TUM, within Bavaria or TUM and the other one outside Bavaria you maybe don´t have to pay the Basic Student Union Fee.
Please read the following information about the semester fees for parallel studies.