US Venture Program
The Technical University of Munich has many hightech inventions, top research results and high-qualified scientists. The only thing missing is the “proactive entrepreneurship spirit” with a global mindset: take risks, take heart even you may fail, sell your business idea with passion and belief and bring your Start-up to international market. To empower the best 5 TUM Start-ups and help them to get that spirit there is no better place as Silicon Valley to get taught by experts, to get inspired by Entrepreneurs and to take their business idea to the next level.
AT A GLANCE
Date: September 30 - October 11, 2019
Location: Silicon Valley/ San Francisco
Places: 5 startups with two team members each (10 people in total)
Application period: extended until August 04, 2019
Funding: by TUM (with small own contribution)
Services provided by TUM:
- Round-trip airfare to the U.S. (self-booking prior to travel, reimbursement after participation in the program).
- Hotel in the Central Business District of San Francisco (1 double room per 2-person team)
- Workspace in the co-working space WeWork for the entire period of the program
- Partial meals during the program
- Free transportation to the program points
- Willingness to meet mentors, experts and peers on site (mandatory)
- Cost absorption for part of the meals
- transportation costs to self-organized appointments in SV/SFO
We are looking for you IF:
- You are a TUM high-tech start-up with a product/service (not "just" an idea)
- Your start-up is technology-based
- You have validated your core hypothesis through a lean approach
- you know your USP, market, competitors and your customers
- You are a complete team
- At least one team member is part of TUM (student, scientist, employee or alumni)
- You are not yet founded (unless you are currently EXIST funded)
- You are pro-active and willing to organize part of the program yourself (meet mentors, experts, peers)
- You are willing to share your experience gained in the US Venture Program with other TUM startups (e.g. in incubator talks).
- Pitch Deck AND Video Pitch in English (3min)
- Letter of motivation OR video (1 page/ 1min)
- Start-up one-pager/short description (1 page with name, team including competencies, product/service, market and customers). NOTE: The one-pager will be sent to mentors and experts and is publicly available!
- List of US contacts (5-10 names of potential mentors, experts, customers or investors you would like to meet in SV)
With a little luck, you'll spend two unforgettable weeks in San Francisco and Silicon Valley this fall. On site, you will enjoy a top program that varies annually: Workshops, discussion panels, one-on-one pitch coaching, live pitches in front of top-class audiences, as well as visits to Silicon Valley companies and exchanges with founders are always an integral part of this (the programs in 2017/2018 included visits to well-known companies such as NASDAQ, Google, Facebook, Mesophair or Stanford University).
In addition to the unique opportunity of organized visits to top-class companies, you will also have enough time during the 12-day stay to independently build and expand your international network on site.
Curious now? See what the TUM founding teams experienced during the US Venture Program 2018 in our aftermovie: