TUM – Technical University of Munich Menu

Language Certificates

In order to succeed in your studies, you need to have a good grasp on the language. On this page you'll find everything you need to know when it comes to proving your language skills. 

For more info on prerequisite language skills and the corresponding certificates concerning a specific degree program, please consult the Academic and Examination Regulations.

The options listed here are sufficient to comply with the minimum language requirements needed for admission. Depending on the program and your individual background it may, however, be necessary for you to keep working on your language skills during your studies. Be sure to check out the services of our Language Center.

German Language Skills

Good command of German is an important prerequisite to successfully complete your studies at TUM. Proof of sufficient German language skills must be submitted before the end of the application period for all degree programs whose language of instruction is German. 

Applicants holding a German university entrance qualification do not require verification of their German language skills. German citizens with an international higher education entrance qualification who have spent at least two school years at a German school may submit certified copies of their school certificate as proof of their German language proficiency.

Please also note the information on the requirements of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education in Germany (KMK) regarding proof of German language proficiency. A list of certificates recognized as proof of German language proficiency may be foundin the resolution of the KMK (PDF, German, 80kb)

More information for exchange students is available via the TUM International Center.

Recognized German Language Certificates

When applying for degree programs requiring proof of sufficient German skills for admission, you may submit the following certificates:


Certificate of the German Language Test for the Admission of Foreign Student Applicants (DSH-2 oder 3).


The German language diploma of the Permanent Conference of the Ministers for Education and Cultural Affairs – Second Level -(= DSD II): It is sufficient to have reached Level B 2 in all four sections.

telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule

Passed the telc C1 Hochschule.


Test of German as a foreign language for foreign students (TestDaF) with a result that demonstrates having reached level 4 in all sections.


Passed a Goethe Certificate in accordance with the Rahmenordnung über deutsche Sprachprüfungen für das Studium an deutschen Hochschulen (Download, PDF) (framework for German language tests to pursue a degree at a German university).

Alternative Proof of German Language Proficiency

In some cases, an alternative form of proof of language proficiency may be submitted in place of a language certificate. Please refer to the Academic and Examination Regulations of your degree program (FPSO) for specific details.

Certificate of an aptitude test that proves the ability of foreign applicants to take up higher education studies in Germany (qualification assessment examination).

  • A "German A (Higher Level)" within the International Baccalaureate
  • Either Biology, History or German as Higher Level in the "Gemischtsprachiges International Baccalaureate mit Schwerpunkt Deutsch"


A diploma from a German educational institution in Germany or abroad.

Please note: If you wish to submit a diploma/degree certificate of an academic degree (e.g. a bachelor's with German as language of instruction) as proof of your language skills, you need to submit this document until the end of the application deadline. Preliminary certificates, transcripts etc. are not sufficient. If the final graduation documents are not available to you in time, you need to submit a different proof of language proficiency.

English Language Skills

Proof of sufficient English language skills must be submitted before the end of the application period for all degree programs whose language of instruction is English. Depending on the certificate, there are different ways to do this.

How to submit the proof of your english language proficiency

  • Have the testing institute send your results directly to TUM

You can have your results sent to TUM directly by the institute (TOEFL, IELTS). Please note that this is only possible after you have created an online application at TUM and that it can take 4-6 weeks for the results to arrive at TUM. We cannot guarantee the timely arrival of your results if you choose this option.

  • Have the testing institute activate online validation of your results

You can allow for your results to be verified online by us. Please note that we cannot be held responsible if the online validation does not work. In this case, you will have to submit your results as certified hardcopy.

Please be aware that we can only process requests for online validation after receiving the signed printout of your application for admission

To allow for online verification,

  1. contact the testing institute and have the results activated for online verification by TUM (depends on the testing institute, may cause additional costs)
  2. make a note on the signed printout of your application for admission, stating that the online verification has been enabled. If your application for admission has already been received, you can also write us an email to studium(at)tum.de, informing us about the possibility of online validation. 

We also require the following data for the online verification:

  • TOEFL/GRE: name and date of birth
  • IELTS: Test Report Form Number
  • Cambridge: name and date of birth
  • GMAT: name and date of birth
  • Submit your results as certified hardcopy

You can submit your results as a certified hardcopy to TUM directly, assuming you have received an Official Score Report. We cannot accept a Test Taker Score Report or similar. You can submit the document via mail or in person. Learn more about certification of documents.

Regardless of how you submit your results, a valid proof of your language proficiency has to have arrived at TUM before the end of the application deadline. There are no exceptions, and we cannot accept any language certificates after the end of the respective deadline.

Also, we can only accept language certificates, results etc. if you have already completed the online application.

Recognized English Language Certificates


Minimum Requirements:

  • Internet based Test (IbT): 88
  • Paper based test (PbT) before may 2017: 605. 
  • (Revised) Paper based test (PBT) starting October 2017: 66

If you send TOEFL to us via ETS, please use the following TOEFL code: University 7806. TOEFL ITP is not accepted.

Please note that you will always have to submit proof of your language skills together with the rest of your application documents, regardless whether your results have been submitted directly by ETS beforehand. 

When applying to TUM, only the Official Score Report will be accepted as a valid document, the Test Taker Score Report is not sufficient.


Only a minimum overall band score of 6.5 in the IELTS Academic will be accepted.

The British Council can send it to us directly. Please give our exact address: TU München, Admissions and Enrollment Office, Arcisstr. 21, D-80333 München


CAE (Cambridge Advanced English), Grades A,B,C

CPE (Cambridge Proficiency English), Grades A,B,C

Alternative Proof of English Language Proficiency

In some cases, an alternative form of proof of language proficiency may be submitted in place of a language certificate. Please refer to the Academic and Examination Regulations of your degree program (FPSO) for specific details. Please also be aware of the correctional note concerning proof of language proficiency for english master's degree programs (PDF, 191kb) and the Collective Amendment concerning the proof of English language proficiency (PDF, 143kb)

English language proficiency may no longer be proven by school grades (e.g. in the Abitur).

A GMAT with a score higher than 600 is accepted as proof of english skills for some master's programs offered by the TUM School of Management. For more information, please refer to the FPSO.

LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION (e.g. in a Bachelor's)

You can prove your English language proficiency via the language of instruction in an academic program (e.g. in a bachelor's) by submitting your transcript of records or your degree certificate as evidence. The language of instruction needs to have been English in more than 50% of the program.

If the language of instruction is not stated in these documents, you can submit a confirmation issued by your prior university. The confirmation has to be issued by an administrative unit of the university (e.g. Examination Office, Registrar's Office, Dean's Office) on official university paper and has to bear a seal and an original signature.

For some master's degree programs, a sufficient amount of credits acquired in English modules during your undergraduate studies is accepted as proof of your English language proficiency as well. The information whether this option is valid for a certain degree program and, if so, how many credits you need to have completed in English modules, can be found in the Academic and Examination Regulations of a degree program.

If this option is given for a certain degree program, you need to submit your transcript of records or your degree certificate as evidence, as well as the form for proof of English proficiency via credits in a prior degree program (PDF, 20kb).

Semesters spent in an exchange program or internship are not sufficient.

Multi-language programs

In some degree programs, you can choose between english or german courses - and in other cases, you need to complete german as well as english courses to complete your studies.

If this is the case, you need to provide proof of the respective language skills when applying. 

You can find more information about the language of instruction and the required language proficiency in our course list or in the respective Academic and Examination Regulations.