Applicants without a formal university qualification (Abitur) can gather information here on requirments for applying at the TUM. If you completed your vocational training outside of Germany, your application materials for TUM must include proof of recognition of your training in Germany. You can obtain this verification at the authorities responsible for your particular vocation in the Free State of Bavaria in accordance with §71 BBiG [Vocational Training Act].
In 2009, the Bavarian state government adopted amendments on university admission:
- The subject-specific university qualification for access to higher education is granted once the university has assessed the applicant’s eligibility, i.e. after successfully completing at least two years of vocational training and at least three years of subsequent full-time work experience (= professionally qualified) - each in a field related to the discipline of the desired course of study. Upon receipt of a federal upgrading scholarship, it is sufficient to show proof of two-year’s full-time work experience.
- Master craftspersons and their equivalent are granted general university admission.
Access to higher education
Here, you can find the statute governing university access to the TUM for qualified professionals and listing the required application forms. You must submit the following documents:
- Statement on entitlement to continue your studies (form here)
- Verification of English language competency; recognized language tests are listed below:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language | TOEFL: minimum of 500 points (paper-based) or 70 points (Internet-based)
- International English Language Testing System | IELTS: at least 5.0 points
- or an equivalent proof of language proficiency, see here
- Verification of mathematical competency
- The TUM Department of Mathematics will conduct the written test and evaluate it. The date has not yet been fixed and will take place on 14 August 2020. Contact person: Prof. Johann Hartl, johann.hartl(at)tum.de
- Mandatory testing for all applicants
- Mandatory academic counselling: To arrange a personal consultation, please contact student advising to receive a verification form and upload it during the online application.
- You can apply online during the regular application period for your desired program.
- In the online application, please go to "School type/Test type/Higher education entrance qualification" then to “Professionally Qualified” under Subject-specific university entrance qualification.
- Upload all required documents during the online application process.
- When applying for an unrestricted degree program, please upload proof of your vocational training as well as proof of your work experience.
Only complete applications – i.e. applications submitted online during the application period with all required documents – will be processed.
Learn more about online application for bachelor’s programs.
Preparatory Course for Technical Degrees
Amberg-Weiden University offers an extra-occupational preparatory course (BeVorStudium) specifically designed for qualified professionals who wish to apply for technical studies. More information