Semester Ticket Munich
On the Move in Munich: Since the winter semester 2013, students of the TUM and other Munich universities get the semester ticket. The ticket is valid for the underground and suburban trains, as well as all trams, buses and some regional trains in entire Munich public transportation network (MVV). All students must pay the fee for the basic ticket as part of their student fees. You may also purchase the IsarCard Semester to have 24 hour access to the MVV network.
Information concerning the "9 Euro Ticket"
- The validated student ID with MVV logo is valid as a "9 Euro Ticket" in the months of June, July and August 2022. You do not have to buy a separate 9 Euro-Ticket.
- The solidarity contribution will be compensated as part of a one-time reduction of the contribution fee of 9 Euro upon enrollment or re-registration for winter semester 2022/23. This regulation affects students at the Munich, Garching and Weihenstephan campuses. Therefore, for the winter semester 2022/23 you have to transfer a fee reduced by 9 Euro. Details can be found on this page.
- Individual refunds of the difference (9 Euro) for summer semester 22 (e.g. for students who are no longer enrolled in winter semester 22) are not possible.
- Partial refund for the IsarCard Semester will be made upon application to the transportation company (MVG, DB, etc.) where you purchased the ticket. An online process for this is currently being developed.
All students are obliged to pay a basic semester fee. This fee is collected together with the Student Union Fee upon enrollment. The basic semester ticket authorizes students to use all forms of transportation within the entire MVV network on weekdays between the hours of 6 pm and 6 am, as well as on weekends and holidays. More: MVV home page
IsarCard Semester: For students planning to use their semester ticket to travel to and from the university every day, we recommend the “IsarCard Semester”. It costs 201.60 euros in the winter semester 2021/22 (209.30 euros from the summer semester 2022) and authorizes students bearing a student ID card and official photo ID to use all forms of transportation within the entire MVV network without restrictions. More: MVV home page
Video: How does the semester ticket work?
Semester ticket made simple (in German):
A film by MVG – Munich Transport Corporation.
Duration: 2:49 min.
Where and when can I buy the IsarCard Semester?
- Basic ticket: You can use your student ID when travelling in the MVV network after validating it for the semester. The student ID is only valid as ticket in conjunction with an official photo ID (e.g. passport or driving licence).
- IsarCard Semester: Beginning on 2 September 2013, the IsarCard Semester will be available for purchase at all customary outlets of the MVV (machines, kiosks, etc.). For more information consult the MVV home page.
Exemption from the Solidarity Contribution
An exemption from the obligatory solidarity contribution is available only for disabled and chronically-ill students upon submission of a formal request.
To apply for the exemption, you must show proof of your entitlement to travel free of charge in public transportation (together with addendum and token from the Ministry of Family and Social Affairs).
Applications must be submitted directly to the university in which you are enrolled. For continuing TUM students, the deadlines for submission are as follows: 15 February for summer semester; 15 August for winter semester. For first-semester students the deadlines are 15 March for summer semester and 15 September for winter semester.
Students enrolled simultaneously at both the TUM and another university (e.g. those in teacher training programs or sport and health sciences programs) should submit their application to the university in charge of their degree program.
Application for exemption from solidarity contribution (in German only)