Student halls of residence

Student halls of residence usually offer affordable accommodation for students. The university does not own these halls of residence. Most are run by the Munich Student Union, with over 10,000 rooms available. Places at these halls are highly sought-after, with long waiting lists – so students are advised to apply early!

Important for exchange students

Please note: If you come to our university through an exchange program, you cannot on your own apply for a room in the Student Union halls of residence – only for other halls of residence. Details: Accommodation for exchange students

Info session: Finding Accommodation

Useful tips – like how to apply for an advertised apartment, how to contact the property owner/manager, how to master German bureaucracy (registry Residence Registration Office) and how to extend a visa, permit of stay, etc. Please register because places are limited.


Colorful bungalows from students in the Olympic Village.
The bungalows in the Olympic Village – just some of the 10,000 rooms rented by the Students Union.Image: Uli Benz

Affordable rooms: The Munich Student Union runs halls of residence at the three large TUM campuses. This accommodation is highly sought after, so students will need to apply early. Information on applying

Students talking in a room.
The Students Union halls of residence are not the only option for cheap student accommodation.Image: Andreas Heddergott

Alternative: There are also a number of privately run halls of residence offering low-cost accommodation. These are mostly run by social organizations. Here is a list of some of these halls: Halls of residence

Student infront of the TUM's Audimax.
Certain halls are open to applications from female students only.Image: Andreas Heddergott

Female students only: Some halls of residence are restricted to young women. These are generally run by religious and social organizations. Female-only halls of residence

Blick auf den Monopteros im Englischen Garten von München.
Summer in Munich: Why not stay in a hall of residence?Image: Luis Gervasi / Tourismusamt München

In some halls of residence, students sublet their rooms during vacation periods. These are perfect for interns or other students looking for accommodation. Vacation sublets in halls of residence

More info for finding a place