Here you will find an overview of start-of-semester orientation events. Be sure to attend induction events held by your department or student body, as this is where you will pick up loads of valuable first-hand information and tips.
Central Services at TUM
Calling all first-year students! TUM offers a wide range of services and support initiatives for students. Find out more at the service fair Fit for TUM.
On your marks, get set, TUM! Your place at TUM has been confirmed, but you would like to get a head-start in September and get to know Munich and TUM before the semester starts … Our Pre-Study Course might be just what you’re looking for!
Are you starting at TUM in the summer semester and interested in connecting with fellow students before you even start your course? Then TUM’s Welcome Summer event is the place to be!
Services offered by departments
If you are starting a course in Mathematics, Physics, Informatics, Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Civil Engineering and Surveying, why not refresh your math skills before embarking on your course and get to know your fellow students?
First-semester events organized by departments or student bodies for first-year students
- Architecture: The Architecture student body organizes welcome events with guided tours of the campus and the city, a traditional Bavarian breakfast and other activities.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering: The Department of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering organizes annual induction events. The program includes guided campus tours, leisure activities and a shop for lecture notes.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Informatics/Mathematics/Physics: The Mathematics/Physics/Informatics (FSMPI) student body organizes induction days for new students (Bachelor and Master’s) at the start of each semester. These usually take place from Thursday to Saturday before the commencement of lectures.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each semester, TUM, the Department of Informatics and the Study Advisors arrange an orientation program for new international degree students at the department.Details for Master's students can be found here.
- Civil, Geo and Environmental Engineering: The student body for the Department of Civil, Geo and Environmental Engineering organizes induction days with information on courses, guided campus tours and lunch get-togethers. For first-year students, a range of special events is organized each year, including a weekend at a cabin near Spitzingsee lake.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Mechanical Engineering: The Mechanical Engineering student body organizes semester induction days for first-year students during the first two days of the semester so they can get up to speed on important course information.
- Contact via inquiry form
- TUM School of Education (teacher training and education research): The student body of the TUM School of Education organizes induction events in cooperation with the department. The program includes a variety of workshops, guided campus tours and a weekend away for first-year students.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Management: The School of Management student body organizes induction events with guided campus tours, icebreakers and a fixed social get-togethers. Mentors help first-year students find their feet and a weekend away is also part of the program.
- Contact via inquiry form.
- School of Life Sciences Weihenstephan: The First Contact Week is organized at the School of Life Sciences Weihenstephan. The student bodies of individual disciplines also organize semester induction events for first-year students:
- Agricultural science and horticultural science student body (email@example.com)
- Biosciences student body (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Nutrition science student body (email@example.com)
- Forest science student body (firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Landscape architecture and landscape planning student body (email@example.com)
- Food technology and brewing student body (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Munich School of Engineering: The Munich School of Engineering organizes annual induction events called SET where students will get important information at the start of the semester. Detailed information will be sent to all newcomers by email. The student body of the Munich School of Engineering organizes “join-in days” with icebreakers, team-building activities and a treasure hunt through the streets of Munich.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Sport and Health Sciences: The Sport and Health Sciences student body organizes an induction event followed by a quiz, a visit to the University Sports Center and a volleyball tournament.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chemistry: The Chemistry student body organizes an induction event following by a pub crawl for first-year students.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Medicine: The Medicine student body offers new TUM students who have completed their initial medical qualification an introductory tour of the clinic on the Sunday before the start of the semester.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org