Study Organization and Exams

In order to enable students with disabilities and chronic illnesses to study with equal opportunities, various measures can be applied for, for example in the form of compensation for disadvantages or a leave of absence.

What is Disadvantage Compensation?

It is also possible that your disability or chronic illness affects your studies in general. On the one hand, the requirements of your degree program including the examination conditions must be considered and, on the other hand, the effects of a disability or chronic illness are very individual. That is why we recommend to get in touch with the contact person at your or school.

Compensation for disadvantages in studies are measures that compensate for handicap-related difficulties in the course of studies and during exams. The compensation of disadvantages is always designed individually and depending on the situation. It depends, among other things, on the effects of the impairment and the respective course of study. Compensating for disadvantages is no relief either. The performance goals of the study and examination regulations are retained.

Students are entitled to compensation for disadvantages, if one does have an impairment which impacts negatively on their studies and can be compensated, but not necessarily in the form one wishes for.

Note: Advising

Note: Use the advising services of the Student Advising: Studying with Special Needs and the departmental contacts at your school regarding possible measures!

Leave of Absence and extention of the study period

You may not be able to study due to a health impairment. So you can no longer pursue your studies as usual and appropriately and it is foreseeable that this phase will not only be temporary but will last longer. In this case, a leave of absence may be the appropriate measure. Thus you can officially sign out from studying for a semester or more in order to fully concentrate on your recovery, such as therapy and rehabilitation.

For further information on application, deadlines, etc., please visit the TUM page on leave of absence.

If you are suffering from an acut illness during the semester it is not possible to grant reasonable accommodation. Here, such measures as withdrawing from examinations and/or extending or suspending deadlines for requirements can be considered. In such cases, a medical certificate is required to verify that there is good reason for the student’s inability to take part in an exam or to meet specified deadlines. According to higher education law, the responsible examination body determines whether there is good reason. It is, therefore, imperative that the certificate contain a precise and medically qualified description of the impairment to the student’s ability to perform due to acute illness on the day of examination, or in the specified period. This description serves as the basis for decisions of the examination body on good reason. A concrete diagnosis can but need not be indicated. However, general proclamations of the student’s incapacity to take part in examinations or other aspects of study are not sufficient. Please submit a significant written application to the departemental examination board. In case of doubt please contact the several advising services!


Application form Disadvantage Compensation

You can submit this form for a Disadvantage Compensation to the examination board responsible for your degree program.

PDF, 744 KB

Cover letter

Information about the significant report for the application for Disadvantage Compensation to hand over to the (specialist) doctor’s office treating you.

PDF, 146 KB

Contact: Studying with Special Needs

TUM Center for Study and Teaching – 
Student Advising: Studying with Special Needs

Arcisstr. 21
80333 München

Mr. Alain M.G. Kathola
Mrs. Verena Weltz-Huber

We advise in person, by phone or virtually.

To arrange an appointment please contact us at

Student Advising and Information Services

+ 49 89 289 22245 

Please observe the e-mail etiquette.

Personal advising sessions with General Student Advising by appointment

Service Desk

Campus Munich
Arcisstraße 21, Room 0144
80333 München

Monday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Wednesday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Friday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.