Student Card and MediCard
The Student Card is your TUM student ID in the form of a multifunctional chip card. Students of the TUM School of Medicine at Klinikum Rechts der Isar receive the MediCard.
Important notice concerning Student Cards
Validating TUM Student Cards is currently possible without restrictions.
However, the following regulations apply to the use of MVV transportation in Munich in the summer semester 2021:
- Student Cards with validation/validity for the winter semester 2020/21 are also valid in the summer semester 2021 as MVV travel authorization in the off-peak hours (Mon–Fri 6 p.m. – 6 a.m. and all day on weekends). So if you are unable to validate your TUM Student Card in the summer semester 2021 for some reason, you will still be able to use public transport in Munich.
- A Student Card validated/valid at least for the winter semester 2020/21 is also required to purchase the IsarCard Semester.
- As before, an official photo ID (e.g. ID card) must be carried in addition to the Student Card.
- As before, the certificate of enrollment will not be recognized as a right to travel on the MVV.
Please also refer to the information about the semester ticket on the MVV website.
Please note: For the winter semester 2021/22, your Student Card must again be regularly validated in order to use MVV transportation.
How do I get the Student Card?
- As soon as you are fully enrolled at TUM, you can apply for your Student Card in the “my TUM-Card” app in TUMonline if you have a German address. There you can also view the status of your order. A personal pick-up is currently not possible.
- Please note: If you have been enrolled for several semesters and the “my TUM-Card” app in TUMonline already shows an active card, but you have not yet received a Student Card, please contact the student information by e-mail.
- If you are enrolled in a joint degree program (e.g. Bioinformatics, Theoretical Physics), please leave your address in the “my TUM-Card” application and also contact the student information by e-mail.
When will the Student Card be sent to me?
- It can take up to 10 days after receipt of order until you receive the Student Card by post. Please contact the student information only if you have not received your Student Card after this period.
- Please note that if you enroll after the start of the semester, you will not have your Student Card for the beginning of the semester. This means that it is not possible to use the semester ticket from the beginning of the semester but only from the time when you are enrolled and have actually received your card.
You will receive the Student Card as soon as you are fully enrolled at TUM for the respective semester and have received a notification from us by e-mail.
- In case you changed your study program at TUM or get re-enrolled, a new Student Card will not be printed automatically. The previous Student Card can simply be re-activated at any validation machine. If you do not have your old Student Card anymore or if it is defective, please ask for a new Student Card at the student information by e-mail.
Further information about the Student Card
Please note: Your photo must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Size: at least 102x135 pixels
- Format: jpg or png
- Data size: Max. 500kB
- Aspect ratio (width-to-height) approx. 3:4
- The face should be the predominant image in the photo, taking up 70 to 80 % of the height of the space.
- The face should be evenly and well-lighted with clearly recognizable eyes (no shaded glasses or hats).
- The image should not contain other people or objects.
- Head cover of any kind is not permitted (Except if worn for religious reasons).
- The background may not contain distracting contours.
- Here are some samples of correct photos (PDF, 565kb)
Please note: The photo you upload in your TUMonline account (e.g. during the online application) will automatically be used for the Student Card. If you want a different photo on your Student Card, and the Student Card has already been printed, we have to issue a new card, which is connected to a fee of 15 euros.
- Student I.D. (with photo)
- MVV ticket
- Access badge
- Library card (barcode on back)
- Student services electronic payment card (i.e. for canteen, cafeteria)
- used for payment in canteens and nearly all cafeterias and espresso bars
- used for payment at most beverage, snack and ice cream vending machines
- used as a deposit for bottles or dishes
- used to make copies at TUM (only on the Munich Student Union copiers)
The Student Card is a contact-free card, meaning it simply needs to be held up to the card reader to be scanned or to make credits or charges.
Note: If you store multiple cards with payment functions in your wallet, they can interfere with each other!
The Student Card is only valid from the beginning of the semester. Only then are all functions available.
Before you can use the Student Card for the first time, you must validate (activate) it at one of the available stations.
Validation is required:
- following every successful renewal of enrollment, not necessary for freshman!
Validation deletes the information strip (TRW Stripe) on the front of the card and reprints it with the new validity date.
After re-enrollment, you can immediately validate your card - it is not necessary to wait for the official start of the next semester.
Note: If enrollment has not been renewed or your semester fees have not been received by TUM, the validity date of the card cannot be extended.
How to Activate your Student Card:
Insert the card into the slot of the validation recorder. The display indicates the direction in which you are to insert the card. If you insert the card incorrectly, simply wait until the machine releases your card.
During this process, your Student Card will be drawn into the machine twice. Wait for the process to be completed; do not try to force the card out of the system! Only remove the card once you have heard a beep. After removing the card, check to see if the MVV logo is clearly imprinted on the card. If the logo is not fully legible or completely imprinted on your Student Card, repeat the validation process. If after repeating the process several times, the logo is still not correctly imprinted on your card, please go to the Admissions and Enrollment Office straightaway (Serve Desk, Main Campus).
TUM Main Campus
At the Main Campus, Arcisstr. 21, 80333 München, you'll find two validating stations in the lobby of the admissions office, located to the left and right of the staircase leading to the library.
TUM School of Education
At the Marsstraße 20-22, you'll find one validating station in Room 130 (Departmental Student Council "Lehrertum") during opening hours.
At the Garching Campus, you'll find two validating stations near the entrance to the Mechanical Engineering Department, on the left near the lockers behind a column.
Two more stations can be found near the entrance to the Computer Science Department off to the left (past the cafeteria and the restrooms) built into the wall.
One more station can be found in the department of chemistry, near the entrance of the Cip-Pools.
One more station can be found in the department of physics.
At the Olympiapark Campus, you'll find one validating station across from the cafeteria next to the 'Geräteausgabe' (equipment desk).
Klinikum rechts der Isar
The station is located at the lecture hall wing.
Weihenstephan Science Center
The stations at the Weihenstephan Science Center can be found in the staircase near the mailroom and in the entrance of the library.
Straubing Center of Science
At the Straubing Center of Science, you'll find the validating station in the library near the lockers.
The station is located in the lounge area, directly next to room L.1.30.
You can reload your Student Card with cash at any charging station in the Student Union. Card charging stations are available in all canteens and cafeterias of the TUM Student Union. There are also various Touch Points (including hot drink machines and snack machines) where you can reload your card. The Student Card can be loaded with the following amounts: €5, €10, €20 and €50.
Another option is to use autoload, a system for automatic top-up via direct debit. More information about autoload is available from the munich student union.
We recommend that you take good care of your Student Card to ensure its longevity. You should avoid:
- bending the Student Card (risk of breakage and contact wear)
- introducing a slight curve in the card (problems with recording data on the TRW Stripe during validation)
- washing it or bringing it into contact with other liquids or chemicals
- exposing it to high temperatures
- getting the Student Card dirty
- storing it near a debit card
In order to protect the Student Card against damage, you should keep it in a protective plastic cover. Your bank will usually provide such protective plastic covers free of charge.
Re-issuing the card in case of loss or defect
- You need to apply by e-mail to the student information if you would like to request the re-issuing of the card.
- In case of loss, improper handling or negligent damage of the Student Card a fee of 15 € will be charged for the reissue. Further information on payment is available by e-mail upon request.
Re-issuing the card in case of theft
- A new issue of the card is free of charge if you enclose a police theft report with your e-mail. Otherwise, a fee of 15 € needs to be paid.
If you return your Student Card - for example due to a defect - please note the chip number in advance or take a photo of your Student Card. The chip number is located on the right in the middle of your Student Card. It is only with this number that the Studentenwerk can allocate the remaining credit on the card.
The payment function of your card has a limited validity. When your card expires, you can renew it at the Studentenwerk's Info Points and at any staffed cash desk in the Mensa.
The Student Card becomes invalid when you withdraw from TU München.
For further questions about the Student Card, please contact the formerly SSZ Service Desk.
The MediCard is primarily used to identify yourself as a student of the TUM School of Medicine at Klinikum Rechts der Isar. Therefore, it contains a photograph as an identifying feature.
In addition, the card serves as a means of identification at the automatic laundry issue. If you have not yet received any professional clothing or if you have any questions regarding the issue of professional clothing, please contact the laundry issue office of the Department of Economics and Supply, Building 555, 1st underground level (Tel.: -2857). For questions regarding the payment function, please contact the refectory/cafeteria at Klinikum Rechts der Isar directly.
Please note: The MediCard does not need to be validated and is intended exclusively for use at Klinikum Rechts der Isar. It cannot be used at the Studentenwerk refectories/cafeterias or in the TUM library; please use your StudentCard for this purpose.
The MediCard is the property of TUM. It loses its legitimation function when you leave the university and must be returned to the Admissions and Enrollment department (Arcisstraße 21, 80333 Munich) upon exmatriculation.
The MediCard is issued to newly enrolled medical students at the beginning of each semester in the formerly SSZ Service Desk (Arcisstr. 21, Room 0140) together with the Student Card. ausgehändigt. You will need an official photo ID for this.
If another person is to collect your MediCard, we require an official photo ID from this person as well as a written letter of authorization from you. Please use this form for this purpose.
Be sure to store the MediCard carefully and protect it from the following influences:
- Deformation, e.g. due to bending, buckling or strong pressure.
- Exposure to heat or cold, e.g. in a car
- Damage to the card, e.g. by scratching, labeling, sticking, punching holes
Please report any loss or theft of your MediCard to the Admissions and Enrollment department immediately. To do so, go to the Service Desk in person. You will also receive a new MediCard there.
Re-issuance in case of loss or defect
- Re-issuance is only possible in person at the Service Desk.
- In case of loss or improper handling or negligent damage to the MediCard, a fee of €15 will be charged for re-issuance.
- You can pay the fee at the payment office (room 1157): Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9 am to 11:30 am. Please present the receipt at the Service Desk.
- Outside the opening hours of the payment office, pay the fee directly at the Service Desk.
- If your card is defective, then we need a corresponding confirmation from the laundry service or the refectory of the hospital.
Re-issuance in case of theft
A re-issuance is free of charge if you present a police theft report. Otherwise, a fee of €15 will be charged.
- Re-issuance is only possible in person at the Service Desk.
- We require a loss of theft report from the police if your MediCard has been stolen or lost.
When your card is ready for collection (usually within 1-2 weeks) you will be notified that the card is ready for you at the formerly SSZ Service Desk (Arcisstraße 21, 80333 Munich). In case of loss of Student Card and MediCard we have to charge the fee of 15 € for each card.