Application and Admission for International Students

Interested in applying for full or part-time study at Technische Universität München (TUM)? Find out, here, how to apply and what you need to know in advance.

Choose from 177 degree programs.
Choose from 177 degree programs.Image: Uli Benz

You have your university entrance qualifi­cation and want to apply for a bachelor’s program at TUM? more

Enhance your career profile with a master’s degree from TUM. Photo: Heddergott
Enhance your career profile with a master’s degree.Image: Heddergott

You already hold a university degree and would like to apply for a master’s program at TUM? Instructions for filling out the online application in TUMonline for international applicants to a master’s degree program at the Technische Universität München

Degree recognition

You are not sure if your degree from an institution outside Germany will be recognized by TUM? Learn more on the website of the German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Aka­demischer Austausch­­dienst DAAD). The anabin database also provides more info on the recognition of foreign school or university degrees.

If your secondary-school degree from another country cannot be recognized, you may complete a discipline-specific qualifi­cation program at TUM’s Studien­kolleg that will enable you to apply to one of TUM’s bachelor programs.

You have been admitted to TUM and want to prepare for univer­sity studies as best you can before the semester starts? If so, the Pre-Study Course for full-time TUM inter­national students is right for you. You will get to know the univer­sity, improve your German-language skills and get practical tips on student life in Munich. more

Language proficiency

Are your language skills up to par for study at TUM? Photo: TUM
Are your language skills up to par for study at TUM?Image: TUM

Depending on your desired course of study, you must submit proof of German and/or English language proficiency. For information on the language requirements for your particular course of study, visit the website of your degree program.

Have you had your documents notarized? Photo: Astrid Eckert
Have you had your documents notarized?Image: Astrid Eckert

Your application materials for TUM must include officially notarized copies of your degrees, transcripts, etc. Further information on docu­ment notari­zation

You must have health insurance to study in Germany. Here, you will find more information on relevant health insurance providers and which one is right for you.


Applicants who are citizens of EU/EWR countries, or of one a few select countries, do not require a visa to enter Germany. Citizens of all other countries require a visa to enter Germany. For more information about student visas, visit the web­site of the State Depart­ment (Aus­wärti­ges Amt).

Contact & Advising

International Students

For choosing the right degree program:
General Student Advising

For questions about application and admission:
Phone: +49 89 289 22245
In Person: Arcisstr. 21, Room 0144

Contact Hours

Exchange students:

TUM International Center

Exchange students

This website provides informa­tion for inter­national students en­rolled in one of TUM’s degree pro­grams as regular students. Exchange students (Erasmus, TUM­Ex­change, partner uni­versi­ties) should contact the Inter­national Center for details about the specific regu­lations apply­ing to students in these pro­grams. TUM International Center