Application for International Applicants

Learn about everything you need to know as an international applicant.

Who is “international”?

In terms of applying to TUM, international refers to the country where you have completed your secondary school or your undergraduate studies. It does not refer to your country of origin or the place you live.

International means

  • when applying to a bachelor's degree program: You have completed your secondary school education outside of Germany with something other than a German Abitur. Learn more
  • when applying to a master's degree program: You have completed your undergraduate studes (i.e. your bachelor's) outside of the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

What you need to be aware of

As an international applicant, you have to be aware of a few particularities. These are highlighted with the globe symbol.

At a glance: What you need to know

Not every secondary school diploma directly qualifies you to study at a German university. A first assessment of your qualification is possible via

You are qualified for university studies in Germany? Then you can apply for a bachelor's degree program at TUM.

You are not qualified for university studies in Germany? Then you cannot apply for a bachelor's directly. You do, however, have other options to qualify for a degree program - for example via Studienkolleg (preparatory study).

To qualify for a master's degree program, you need a first academic degree, e.g. a bachelor's. The exact requirements for every degree program are stated in the Academic and Examination Regulations.

Regardless of the program you are interested in, you need an undergraduate degree which is at least equal to a German bachelor's degree with a duration of 3 years (6 semester) to be eligible to apply for a master's program.

You can look up your degree in the anabin database (available in German only) to get a first orientation whether you are generally qualified for a master's degree program in Germany.

Apply for a preliminary documentation

You need to have your qualification verified by uni-assist.

Prove your language skills

You always need to prove your language proficiency when applying.

Have your documents notarized and translated

Everything you need to know about correct notarization and translation.

Check if you need visa

Be sure to check the visa regulations for your country, and contact your local German embassy as early as possible